Chinese-Forums

serious summer course for professional?

jiaoshou

I am a thirty-something professor of languages and comparative literature. Never been to China before. I am looking for very small classes, even a blended environment with group class and private tutoring, but most of all a serious study environment.

I would prefer to spend more money or live in a small out of the way town in order to have a superior language course.

I will go next summer to study for 6+ weeks, during summer break. I will have completed Rapid Literacy in Chinese in addition to the New Practical Chinese Reader 2 or slightly more.

I live in the Middle East and am in year 11 of study of Arabic. I'd also be interested in ideas for study in areas where there are considerable Muslim communities, but that is less important than the quality of the school.

Any ideas for a serious summer course?

I myself am planning on going to Liaoning Normal University in Dalian this summer through HYCC:

http://www.hyccchina.com/english/araq/index.htm

I based my decision on multiple high remarks on HYCC and the programs in the ARAQ network. From what I gather, if you're really serious about learning the language, then you will probably learn the most by going somewhere with fewer foreigners. The programs in the ARAQ network are in such cities, where you have to really use your Chinese to get around. I have never been to China myself, but I have already begun planning my trip with Mr. Wang and Adam from HYCC and things are going very smoothly. If you're looking for a 6 week program, they offer a couple on their website, and if the dates don't work out send them an email. I bet they could work something out.

You could consider our Study in China program that serves many professionals.

Until a few weeks ago all programs had 2 hours of personal 1 on 1 tutoring per day so we are used to doing 1 to 1 as part of a program. We can add it back in for you as a customized program. But we are in BJ. Our signature course is not suitable for your level, but there are other options.

BJ is going to be more expensive, especially this summer. Better to come before the housing prices go crazy. No idea on the Muslim thing honestly.

Short term, willing to pay extra - TLI , Taipei Language Institute, comes to mind. A search on here will find some feedback, but they seem to have a reputation for very intense and effective teaching, at a price.

As for the Muslim community thing, there are active mosques in some Chinese cities. There's a link to a list here.

I agree with the Roddy. I am still at TLI Dalian (Cheapest one of the TLI Branches, I think, and Dalian being a lot more affordable than the bigger cities) been here for more than half a year. I think its great, best Chinese education I have had in China.

I'm not going to come to China this summer. Next summer.

I checked out the TLI programs. Individual classes for 110 RMB/hour in Dalian. Correct me if I am wrong but that's about $15/hour. This is the going price in Beirut for private language lessons. I don't have money to burn, but this seems pretty reasonable to me, especially since I highly prefer private lessons or classes of 2 or 3 motivated people.

Dalian seems like a decent place. I am not a teenager and would come alone. Any comments on what it's like to live there in the summer time. Mature social outlets?

It's pricey for China, but they seem to have a good reputation. I pay 90Y for 90 minute lessons elsewhere, and even that wouldn't be considered cheap.

If you are seriously considering Dalian, take a look at dalianxpat.com and daliandalian.com for information about local events and activities in English. Bear in mind though that TLI is in the Development Zone, which is a bit of a trek from the city proper.

Sounds like you would feel well in Xi'an. That city is very influenced by the local Hui Muslim minority, full of Muslim restaurants and shops, and the 1250-year old great mosque is a must-see. As an old capital, there are plenty of cultural sites to visit around the city as well. You could look for schools in that area.

Many big cities will have a mosque and a small Muslim community. But Xi'an probably has the strongest influence and the most interesting combination of Chinese and Islamic culture.

I'm guessing Xinjiang province hasn't been mentioned because it's not an ideal place for learning Mandarin, but it is home of China's largest Muslim population, the Uighurs. If the OP is interested in checking out the homeland of "Chinese" Islamic culture, maybe he could plan a trip. Does Uighurs speak Arabic (in addition to Mandarin)?

Excellent question Xander and thanks for the excellent TLI Dalian review.

I would doubt that most Uighurs speak Arabic at all. They use apparently some kind of modified Arabic script (like Urdu, Farsi, etc). Some might know it if they are Muslim through religious study, but even then I seem to have read somewhere that that linguistic knowledge of Arabic is a rare thing.

There is already a thread on this from 2004

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/3421-is-this-totally-crazy-studying-chinese-in-urumqi&highlight=Uighur+language

Does Uighurs speak Arabic (in addition to Mandarin)?

The Uighur dialect is very close to Turkish. I've been told that the two are close enough that Uighurs and Turks can communicate with each other easily without any study of the other's language.

Those advocating for secession sometimes call Xinjiang East Turkestan.

http://www.google.com/search?q=uighur+turkestan