Chinese-Forums

Question sentence is pronounced in a higher pitch?

michfr

One textbook I have claims that when you ask a question in Mandarin, the whole sentence is pronounced in a higher pitch. Only that one textbook says that, so I am wondering if this is true in your experience.

It would be good if there were such a practice, because often in Chinese you wouldn't know if it's a question until the 'ma' at the end. In English you know right off the bat that the sentence is a question, because the sentence begins with 'who', 'what', 'where', 'does', etc., and so the responder knows to listen more intently because a question is being asked.

shibo77

Good numbers :D

Questions are said in a relative high pitch than a statement. One can tell whether it be a question, statement, request, or command from the relative pitch. The particles are used because relative pitch cannot be shown in writing. In speech the particles "吗ma5" and "呢ne5" can be omitted.

(One cannot tell until the "吗ma5") < this refers to writing, when it is written, one know not whether it be a question or statement until the "吗ma5" particle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add "吗ma5" to a statement.

"你好吗? Ni2 hao3 ma5? "You well?" -Are you well?"

Note that "你好! Ni2 hao3! "You well!" -Hello! is a statement by itself, without any question adverbs.

Add "呢ne5" to a statement with a question word.

"你为什么不高兴呢? Ni3 wei4 shen2 me5 bu4 gao1 xing4 ne5? Why are you not happy?"

Note the question adverb "为什么wei4 shen2 me5 -'for what/pourquoi' -Why", therefore "呢ne5" is used instead.

-Shibo :mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

Certainly many questions would not be asked in a higher pitch. It depends on what you are asking about. If a father was asking his teenage son about what he did- "Ni ganle shenme?", his voice might be lowered to add sterness.

Raising the pitch often is used to indicate a higher degree of uncertainty. If the alteration is significant enough, you can leave off the "ma" in many instances. For example, if I were surprised that you did it, I could simply say (with a raising pich)- "Ni zuole?" or "Shi ni zuode?"

Well I think its the same in every language actually. For instance in english, when asking a question, you raise the pitch also (well, at least at the end of your sentence)...

Even if you just say mmh mmh, the intonation you give in an interrogative sentence will be higher then in a affirmative one, and mmmh mmmh is understood in every language I think.

in chinese, in practical terms on a day to day conversational basis, question sentences don't have to be in a higher pitch or tone than a statement sentence. i mean this loosely in a general sense. it just depends on the individual, if they prefer to put a question in a higher pitch or not, whether being serious or not.

whereas, english, a question sentence usually ends with a higher tone, but sometimes it doesn't, e.g. (how's the weather today?) but (do u think the movie's good?) usually ends with higher tone. actually, now that i'm writing this, it just struck me. in english, the question is usually indicated with a higher tone ending. in chinese, a tonal language, does not necessitate the use of a question tone. hmm, ok, a bit side tracked...

anyway, what i'm trying to say is, in chinese, i think a question sentence doesn't have to be delivered in a higher pitch for the listener to know it's a question

Yeah, I'd say that constructions like V-不-V, 是否, the particle 嗎, and the use of question words in sentences all serve to show that the sentence is a question without needing to raise the pitch. However, I haven't had enough experience with the language to say for certain.