Chinese-Forums

Homestay this summer

Guest phantom1987

Hello,

I'm willing to be in beijing this summer to develop my listening and speaking skills in either BLI or TLI school, but i also want to stay with a host family.

Can anybody share their recent homestay experience in beijing and recommend an agency dealing with host families in beijing.

Thank you in advance, AK:mrgreen:

I don't study in Beijing, but honestly, outside of the silly stories I'm forced to read in my text books about foreigners staying with Chinese host families, I've never heard of it happening. I'm not saying it doesn't, but I don't think it's widespread. If you look at the average size of Chinese families' homes (in cities), I don't think there'd be much room for an extra person. If you were staying with a younger family, with children and grandparents all living together, you'd most likely be sharing a room. Knowing what I do now about Chinese culture (my wife is Chinese), the home is a much more personal space here than in the West. You don't invite someone into your home until you've known the person for a while, and have already become good friends. Of course there are exceptions, and co-workers are often invited over for dinner after some time. However, I find it strange that there would be a lot of Chinese interested in inviting foreigners (and many Chinese have some pretty crazy ideas about foreigners) who are also complete strangers to live in their homes.

Good luck.

Stranger things have happened.

You may want look into Lotus. A lot has been written about them on these forums (try Search), generally quite positive. The program is pricey, but if money is not a matter for you, I'm sure it could be a great experience.

I did live with a chinese family in Dalian. Finding one wasn't difficult. The teachers at the university can help. I met mine by coincidence.

The price was really cheap, I paid 1500 yuan for a month for: single room, 3 meals a day, washing my clothes, cleaning my room. The only extra there was, was for internet.

Some friends of mine stayed with a hostfamily in Beijing. They also found them without an agency, should be a lot cheaper. And, if they are not used to have foreigners stay with them, you actually have a chance to become a part of the family. I was "adopted", shared many activities with them (holidays, eating out, xizao...) and am still in touch with them (after 3 years)

But you have to keep in mind, that you won't have that much freedom, when living in someone elses home. For example, bringing home friends (even worse: girls) all the time, won't work.

If you chose to go to Dalian instead, I could ask my hostfamily if they'd take another student.

but for august prices are way too high.(2000$+a week).
Just remember that August pricing is going to be influenced by the influx of tourists for the Olympics. According to their website, prices for a regular homestay are normally US$175-235 a week.

Not particularly cheap compared to what accomodation costs here, but significantly less than US$2,000 a week.

Stranger things have happened.

You may want look into Lotus. A lot has been written about them on these forums (try Search), generally quite positive. The program is pricey, but if money is not a matter for you, I'm sure it could be a great experience.

Interesting, I think I'm going to read what others have written. That Lotus program must not work with families in Hangzhou, since no one in my school has done participated in a homestay program. It would be interesting to know what the requirements are for the host families .