Chinese-Forums

Yunnan Univeristy application Fall 2008

sndchang

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to apply to Yunnan University for Fall 2008, but I must submit a application form that is requested via email, phone or fax. Unfortunately, I keep getting a message that their email is full, I don't get an answer when i call and I don't have a fax.

Does anyone happen to have an application that they can send me through email? Perhaps this is not allowed though...?

Also, does anyone know the exact date that Fall semester begins? Online they just say August...

On their website there is no mention of a health certificate- is one required?

Finally, anyone else enrolling or going to be there for Fall 2008?

I was just in their office last week with a friend who was thinking of studying there. The people working there now were really friendly. My friend is heading back to the US for a month and was asking about studying there when he comes back. They still suggest coming in on a tourist visa and switching it to an X through the school. Given the current visa situation, this seems a bit risky, but they hadn't heard of any changes.

My understanding is that if you apply from overseas, you don't need the health exam until you get to China and apply for a residence permit. If you do get one outside of China, they'll probably find a reason to make you redo it.

Don't know about email, but if you call make sure it's during Chinese business hours and allow for a 2.5 hour lunch break

The application is available online at: http://www.cis.ynu.edu.cn/Chinese/page42.asp

I thing I'll get to Yunnan in November, attend the chinese classes in the winter break and start studying there in February. Will you stay for one term only?

Please let me know about the university level, teachers, etc. once you get there!!

Thanks a lot, Sandra!

I think, Kunming should not be affected too much by the Tibet issue.Gansu and Sichuan Province have far more ethnic Tibetans than Yunnan. When I was in Yunnan last year, I only saw Tibetans in the very north (Zhongdian, Deqin, etc.). Only if other minorities are drawn into the conflict, there would be a problem.

Best regards from Germany, Martin