Chinese-Forums

Need Help with a Chinese word

ONEBADRAM

I had a very close friend pass away and on his head stone was a Chinese word .. No one can tell me what it means (says) ..... I dont know how to post the picture of the word on here , if someone can email me I will send you the picture and if you can tell me what it means it would really mean alot to me and my family .....

My email is brad_mcclennen@yahoo.com

Ok I got the picture on here its pretty big sorry ..

Thanks in advance ...

1801_thumb.attach

Ok , that would make sence, His last name is CHANG , He is hawaian and his mother is Chinese... I just want to make sure because I am going to incorperate the sign into a tattoo that i am going to put together ...

is there a possibility that it has a meaning ??

Thanks for all the help ... is there a way that i can look up the information on the computer for the word ???

陳 (chén) arrange; exhibit; narrate; tell; old; stale; a surname; to state; to display; to explain; (surname)

The pronunciation chén is the standard Mandarin pronunciation written using the pinyin alphabet. Depending on where youre friend's family stems from, it could be pronounced or romanized slightly differently (for example: Chang).

The meaning is the same. It's a common last name.

Thanks for all the help ... is there a way that i can look up the information on the computer for the word ???

You can try one of many free online dictionaries, but inputting the character using a computer usually requires familiarity with the language. If you want to be sure, you can cut and paste the character from the top of my post into an online dictionary, like this one: http://www.mandarintools.com/worddict.html

The only way to really be sure if you're going to tattoo it, though, is to ask a family member if it really is his family name.