Chinese-Forums

Chinese/Asian Studies fellowships

taobenli

Hello-

I've only posted once on this board before, in the Chinese music section. I was thankful for your recommendations of artists and the website YYMP3. I am listening to Xu Wei right now....

I have another question for the China academics. I graduated from a small college in Wisconsin in East Asian Languages and Cultures (mostly Chinese, I also speak some Japanese after living there for a year). During college I participated in the Associated Colleges in China program at Beijing College of Economics and Business for a semester (a program I highly recommend, but a warning that it is INTENSE).

I am also very interested in Korea (North and South) and am especially interested in the China-Korea relationship. My goals are to have a good grasp of the history of inter-Asian relations and Asian anthropology. I hope to speak and read Chinese and Korean fluently, and read Japanese well. I got a fellowship to study Korean Studies at the graduate level at a great U.S. school next year (an M.A. program- I will probably apply for a PhD program later). I will be enrolled in an intensive Korean language program over the summer (in the U.S.), and am already starting to make plans for next summer. I would like to apply for a fellowship to study both Chinese and Korean (at different times) during the summer. I would probably go to a university in Seoul, and probably Beijing for Chinese (I love the culture there but the pollution REALLY got to me).

Does anyone know of any fellowships at the graduate level to try applying to? Also, can anyone recommend an intensive summer program that is not in Beijing (I would love a place like Kunming, for example)?

Thank you!

taobenli

Wouldn't it be better for you to study in Jilin province?

I'm thinking specifically of Yanbian University in Yanji, where you could study Mandarin and practice both your Chinese and Korean in the same vicinity.

Just a thought.

No, I just know that Yanji is a place where the Korean ethnic minority (and some North Korean refugees) lives in harmony with Mandarin speaking Hans. As for Yanbian University, I have a city map of Yanji and that appears to be the only college in town.

Good luck!