Chinese-Forums

Becoming a Chinese Citizen, nationality issues.

Ah-Bin

Theoretically yes, but you're more likely to end up with some kind of visa, perhaps the annual L visa. There is a D visa for permanent residence but you need to be married for five years to get that and the semi-mythical five year 'green card' (any of us got one of those yet?) but I think all the married foreigners I know are on annual L visas, or employer / university sponsored Z's and X's. Practically speaking, I've never heard of it happening - yes, people trot out examples like Sidney Shapiro, but in the last decade? Without joining the Party?

Will merge this with the existing citizenship discussion.

Good luck. My impression is that although the law for taking Chinese citizenship is in place, the actual knowledge on how to handle it at a local level, plus the 'market demand' if you like, just don't exist. Theoretically I guess you can apply now, although I doubt you'd be taken seriously.

I'm going to move these posts again, as this topic seems more about Hong Kong residency and Chinese citizenship - not sure where I'm moving them to yet, but I'm sure you'll find 'em . . .

Good luck. My impression is that although the law for taking Chinese citizenship is in place, the actual knowledge on how to handle it at a local level, plus the 'market demand' if you like, just don't exist. Theoretically I guess you can apply now, although I doubt you'd be taken seriously.

Perhaps the demand will change after China establishes it's universal healthcare system (assuming that becomes a reality).