Chinese-Forums

Going to Aus. for 12 days - have 'Residence Permit' but no valid Visa to get back....

Chinese Learner

Hi,

I am studying beginners Mandarin at Beijing Film Academy. I came into Beijing on an F Visa that I obtained in Hong Kong.

This Visa expired on 3 April 2008.

I converted this to a 'Residence Permit For Foreigners In The People's Republic Of China' which expires at the end of July. So I have a valid 'Residence Permit' but no valid 'Visa' in my passport now.

I need to go to Australia for 12 days next week.

Question 1. -> Will I be let back into China with no valid Visa in my passport in 12 days time even though I have a 'Residence Permit'?

Question 2. -> Do I have to apply for a new visa to get back into China once I get to Australia?

Question 3. -> Where can I go to find out this information?

Thanks!!

Question 1. -> Will I be let back into China with no valid Visa in my passport in 12 days time even though I have a 'Residence Permit'?

I have a residents permit... and I have returned to the UK and come back twice with no problems and no visa... but I did have an x visa that was converted so am not sure if its the same for an f conversion...

Question 2. -> Do I have to apply for a new visa to get back into China once I get to Australia?

I did not...

Question 3. -> Where can I go to find out this information?

You can try the website of the embassy... ie I check the UK one you could check the Aussie one...

Your Residence Permit is your 'visa' and should be glued in your passport as any other visa. If not, I think there's some terminology confusion on what you refer to as a 'Residence Permit'.

A Residence Permit gives unlimited entries and exits, as long as the permit is not expired by itself.

To make matters easy for you: the last visa/permit in your passport is the only valid one, inlcuding the number of entries and expiration dates.

Hope that clarifies it a little.

Interesting though that you went from F visa to residence permit. I guess it makes a bit of sense - less hassle than going F > X to > Resident permit, but I didn't realize it was possible. Are you sure you didn't get an X visa in your passport as part of the process?

nteresting though that you went from F visa to residence permit. I guess it makes a bit of sense - less hassle than going F > X to > Resident permit, but I didn't realize it was possible. Are you sure you didn't get an X visa in your passport as part of the process?

I also originally went from an F visa to a Residence Permit. From L to Residence via F. :mrgreen:

I guess anything is possible with the right guanxi.

I hope that they haven't changed the rules or anything!!!

I really don't fancy getting to immigration in China and then having the officer not let me in because I don't have a 'valid visa' in my passport regardless of the fact that I do have a 'residence permit'!

:wall

Fingers crossed and all that!!

There shouldn't be any problems with a valid residence permit.

Rules change, and quickly, but that is mainly for L, F and X visas. A residence permit is what is says: a permit that allows you, as a foreigner, to reside (= live and work) in China.

I've been in and out of China four times so far with only my Residency Permit. Last time was in October. No problems at all.

Just to add to the confusion - my visas go Z then L then Permit.

This thread made me run and grab my passport. Looking through my last four years of visas, I see:

L -> F -> Z -> Z -> L -> L -> L -> L -> L -> L -> RP -> RP -> RP

I didn't even realize that 1) I once had a (30 day) F visa, and 2) my last three "work visas" have actually just been residence permits with a "Purpose of Residence" filled in as 就业 ("Employment"). Are people still getting Z visas?

With regards to the original poster, my hunch is that it's not a coincidence that your magical residence permit expires 8 days before the start of the Olympics...

L -> L -> L -> L -> L -> L ->

No officer, of course I wasn't working. . . .

Anyway, while we're playing this game, I'd be Z>Z>F>Z>F>F>F(? would need to actually count)>X>RP

2) my last three "work visas" have actually just been residence permits with a "Purpose of Residence" filled in as 就业 ("Employment"). Are people still getting Z visas?

I suspect if you come in on an L or F visa and end up working or studying you'll just go to a residence permit now. Insert standard 'but who the hell knows' boilerplate here.