Chinese-Forums

Inner Mongolia University

mpallard

OK, the obvious question, has anyone out there been to Inner Mongolia University, or even travelled there?

http://www.imu.edu.cn/departments/iec/guji/english/indexe.htm

For some reason I have a bizarre interest in this part of China but have never been there. Looked like a cool place to study but I have no idea what the quality of instruction is like and what the Manadrin situation is.

Been studying in Taiwan for a year now and am looking for a change in environment. All suggestions welcome.

Well since no one has replied, I'll get the ball rolling. I went to Baotou, inner Mongloia for Chunjie in 2003. I teach english, and my student invited me to her home. Her Dad, I later found out, is the richest man in that city of 6 million. We ate huge amounts of food, drove around in his benz, lit fireworks, hear traditional singing and dancing, went hunting with rifles in the beautiful mountains nearby, and drank Russian-style quantities of Baijiu.

I don't know about the school, but i could give you some general pros and cons:

Pros:

1) Very nice, friendly people.

2) They speak putonghua, with a slight accent.

3) there won't be many other laowais, so I think it will be easier to intergate than a place like Beijing.

cons:

1) the pollution is quite high, I think.

2) it's fairly poor

3) it's traditional (this is also a pro). That means the dating situation could be rough.

4) It's cold!

5) They drink amazing amounts of baijiu (which you might see as a pro!)

Hey! I love Inner Mongollia as well, hopefully one day I would be able to go to the real Mongolia.

Anyways, my first time there was a summer camp in 5th grade. It is a beautiful place, if you avoid the 2nd rate cities(like Baotou). It would be a great place to settle down, but as for the education there, I wouldn't place my hopes too high. If you are going there directly from Taiwan, you might want to adjust a bit.

-Shibo :mrgreen: