Chinese-Forums

Translation

laser2302

Have a look at the following paragraph. I came across in some Chinese article. It is really difficult for me to understand this paragraph. Can anyone please tranlsate it into English so I can understand it easily.

"而在那些沧海桑田都已物是人非之后,刘海波似乎学会了将伤痛内敛,将感情沉淀在心中,然后仿佛是在不经意中自如地挥洒出那么只言片语,然后轻易地触摸到我们心中最容易感受到温暖和舒适的地方,这就是《大使在飞》。"

Thanks

"而在那些沧海桑田都已物是人非之后,刘海波似乎学会了将伤痛内敛,将感情沉淀在心中,然后仿佛是在不经意中自如地挥洒出那么只言片语,然后轻易地触摸到我们心中最容易感受到温暖和舒适的地方,这就是《大使在飞》。"

It seems to be another piling up of big words. Can't translate them exactly.

The main line is:

After dramastic great changes, Liu Haibo seems to have learnt how to restain the rounds inward and precipitate the feelings in heart, and then, as if casually, made out a few words freely and then easily touched the place in our heart where it feels the wormth and comfort easiest, that is "The Ambassador in Flight ".

let me try: Hence things changing people leaving,刘海波seems have learned to harbour the sorrow and bury the feeling deep in heart. Then,incidentally, words spilled out,directly touching about the place where the heart is most vulnerable to warmth and comfort—— that is 《angel flying》.

(personal opinion:大使在飞is a typing error of 天使在飞)

Exactly.

That's a pretty literary one,not that easy to translate word by word.

Infact,I have to admit my version reduced some glamor of the original text.

There are several idioms need to note: 沧海桑田、物是人非、只言片语

They are useful and quite expressive phrases.

Remembering them will do you a lot of good.

Happy jouney with Chinese:wink:

• 1 month later...

the translation is 而在那些沧海桑田都已物是人非之后,刘海波似乎学会了将伤痛内敛,将感情沉淀在心中,然后仿佛是在不经意中自如地挥洒出那么只言片语,然后轻易地触摸到我们心中最容易感受到温暖和舒适的地方,这就是《大使在飞》。= In those Canghaisangtian have Wushirenfei, Liu Haibo seems to be learned will be reserved grief, feelings in the hearts of precipitation, and then seem to be inadvertently in a comfortable manner Huisa so few words, and then easily touch the hearts of our most vulnerable Feel warm and comfortable place, and this is "Ambassador fly."

chueggroll, what makes you think your "translation" is of any use? You clearly just dumped the text into an automatic translator. If that were any use, the original poster wouldn't even have needed to ask his question at all. It's pointless, so don't do it anymore, please.

My attempt at interpretation:

"而在那些沧海桑田都已物是人非之后"

而在...之后 = And after

那些 = those

沧海桑田 = azure seas and mulberry fields (the expression it carries an implication of great, inexorable change)

都 = all

已 = 已经 = had (past tense)

物是人非 = endured while the people [that used to be there] had changed

So the overall expression is, somewhat literally, "And after all those azure seas and mulberry fields had endured while the people had changed". More liberally, it would mean, "And after all the changes and the disappearing of familiar faces".

物是人非 literally means "the things are the same, but the people are different". It seems to act as a verb in this sentence.

hmm..ok but it's even not very clear to me. I don't understand the relation between "great, inexorable changes" and then it's written that things don't change but, it's peoples who change. What's the relation.

For the 已 it's ok, it's the adverb "already" which acts as an auxiliary.

This extract is very interesting to analyze !

I think the "沧海桑田" here should be taken literally as "azure seas and mulberry fields" in order for the sentence to make grammatical sense. That's how I obtained the sentence "And after all those azure seas and mulberry fields had endured while the people had changed".

而在 那些 s(沧海桑田) 都已 v(物是人非) 之后

s = subject, v = verb

The "great, inexorable change" bit is the underlying implication that 沧海桑田 carries, in my opinion - it's not the literal meaning of the idiom/成语.

Is this could be a right translation ?

And contrary to the humans, after the inertia of landscapes,....

However, I find strange that these two idioms here aren't taken in there "idiom meaning". But your explication is really logic, a subject, a verb,...

But it would be a great thing to put the whole article. Maybe with the entire context, we could learn more about this extract.