Chinese-Forums

New Software to Test

ilprincipe

Dear Chinese language learners,

we have developed a simple software package as a tool to learn chinese characters. We are planning to make it available commercially, but would appreciate your feedback..whether you believe it is useful or not. It meant to be a companion to other study material, it is not a language course.

Your feedback will be appreciated, in the meantime you can enjoy a 10 days free trial version, full functionality (which we can extend on request for those who wish to cooperate).

Happy studying to all

Hi to everyone,

thanks for your kind replies and feedback. We are still checking the hosting address and try to see what is happening.

On your questions:

The installation requires admin rights, as it is normally the case when installing new software in a PC. This is to prevent un-authorised downloads in your PC.

The software uses a combinations of two dictionaries. One if a full chinese dictionary and the other one is meant to be your own personalised dictionary..i.e a dictionary that you build yourself. The various functions work on either one or the other or the two together to offer. For example, the search functions work on one or the other. The flashcard (Test your knowledge) works from your own dictionary, so that you are tested only on the words that you are supposed to have learnt, and not on a random set. The combination search uses both at the same time, so that new combination of characters are presented to the user, but using only the characters from your own dictionary (with proximity setting to zero). The test analyser, again, uses both. It hightlights in red the characters that are new to you, and, as you move the mouse over the text, it offers the translation from the full chinese dictionary.

Hope this answers your questions.

Any suggestion for additional features is welcome.

Thanks to all

www.improveyourchinese.com

The installation requires admin rights, as it is normally the case when installing new software in a PC. This is to prevent un-authorised downloads in your PC.
This is not strictly accurate. You only need admin rights if you are installing something or making changes to the system areas of your PC. It is perfectly possible to design software that installs without the need for admin privileges, so long as it doesn't affect the system areas. I'm guessing msittig was wondering what was it about your application that needed to make changes to the system areas and therefore requires it to have admin privileges to install.

Also, regarding the dictionary, I think Roddy wanted to know which specific Chinese dictionary was it based on (Oxford, ABC, CEDICT etc). This is a common question asked about programs similar to yours, as various dictionaries have different strengths and weaknesses, which in turn reflect upon the product itself.

Hi,

I am using a third party protection tool which generates activation keys for free trial. I have enquired with them and they told me that the software does create log/ini files in the c: drive, so that it can monitor fraudolent installation. If you are concerned about this I can get better information, but I am 100% sure there is nothing malicious about it. In fact, I am not even 100% that it does require admin rights...I kind of just put in the web site without really thinking too much. but I will get back to you on this.

The dictionary is CEDIT. If you believed there are better ones, please let me know and I can easily make the changes.

thanks for the feedback.

I didn't mean to imply that it was malicious software, but just there are probably people who might like to try the program out, but who perhaps don't have admin privileges for the machine they use (i.e. perhaps at a university or in an office). If I recall correctly from a previous post, msittig is in this situation, and at a guess, I'd say he tried to install it but couldn't because it required admin privileges (which he doesn't have).

I understand,

I will try check if indeed admin rights are needed. I will make sure that trial version can be downloaded in shared machines (internet cafe etc..)...good point..thanks a lot.

may I ask you where you are located, as I am trying to resolve issue relating to non accessibility of the website from China...I know some people can access it (simply, no proxy or anynoumous.etc..), but some others cannot..I may need to change hosting company if this goes on.

thanks for feedback

I'm located in Beijing. Trying to access your site without a proxy always returns an error. Using a proxy it works without any problems. Actually, it normally can't even find the DNS entry for improveyourchinese.com.

Re: admin rights, checking if admin rights are required is easy. Just create a limited user account on your machine and try and install the software. If the install fails, it means your program still needs admin rights for part of the installation.

thanks for feedback.

we have now taken off the Admin right, so it can be installed in Internet cafes, etc..

look forward to your feedback on the functionalities. Small upgrade version now available, which highlights compound characters in the Analyse Test option.

hope all is well down there in China.