Chinese-Forums

Teaching Music/Movies in China this Summer

magisterludi

I am a student at Columbia University and I will be teaching English in China this summer. My area of focus is Music and Movies. I will be presenting the class with a song each session and then will discuss the meaning of the song with the class. I want to make the class more interesting by choosing the right songs. They have to be in English and be not too hard to understand. The students are in high school.

I'm not sure if I should do pop music, and I'm not even sure what American pop music in China is. I'm sure Britney Spears is pretty popular, but I don't see much purpose in analyzing what "I'm toxic" means. I also don't think I should do rap because most of these songs are wildly inappropriate (I don't think I should be explaining what a ho is, or why American men love women with big butts).

I'm considering choosing songs that have defined American music through the decades, and adding in a few pop songs. I need some suggestions on what I should choose. They need to be songs that these students can understand and appreciate (they have maybe 5 years of English training in China). For example, Hotel California and Bohemian Rhapsoday are both definitive, but it's a bit too difficult to understand the meaning behind them. Other requirements: no sappy love songs, no Celine Dion or Sting. Movie suggestions would be helpful too.

Thanks if anyone can help,

N.

Well, I'm a teacher in China also, and I have tired to pick songs that meet the goals you listed. In the past I've played:

Radiohead, Tori Amos, Louis Armstrong, the Beatles, Ricky Martin, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, the Cure, the Clash, Bob Marely, Coldplay, U2, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, the Fugees, and others.

Generally speaking, Mainland students don't like rock very much, except Beijingers. In fact, I recently took an informal poll in my classes in Shanghai ("If you could only choose pop or rock music, which would you choose?" and pop beat rock, usually about 27-3 in every class.

The most Western popular singers here are the Backstreet Boys, West Life, Maria Carey...etc. I've tried playing Dylan songs (because I'm a huge fan) in order to teach history. For the most part, they couldn't get over his horrible voice, and didn't take it seriously. Students also have no background in US history, in the same way that high school students in the US don't know anything about Asian history.

Nonetheless, many students were interested in the classes. I'd recommend the following:

1) Make sure the lyrics are fairly well pronounced.

2) Don't choose songs that have are too long, because this wastes time.

3) Bring pictures of the singers, in order to give them visuals.

4) If possible, start with someone or some band that they might know- the Beatles, Cranberries (via Wang Fei), Coldplay (via Zhang Jun, i think)...or something.

5) Try to pick songs that are somewhat moving or sentimental.

Above all, try to teach them that American history and American culture is directly linked with American music. For example, I was watching C-Span one night. They had a conference about 911. One academic pointed out that the history of 911 would be recorded as a musical. Shortly after the attacks, various interpretations of the emotions and events battled for public approval- most notably "Where is the love?" and "Have you forgotten?"

You might also want to show "Forrest Gump" because it is universally moving, yet has many cultural and musical landmarks you can discuss.

I think if you are trying to teach Chinese students about the American musical culture, you should leave out your own personal interests, and try to give a wide variety of songs that could represent the whole as much as possible (including hip-hop).

Areas you should cover:

Classic Rock

Blues

R & B

Pop

Hip-hop

Country

Jazz

Reggae

Punk

Soul

Metal/Rock

I'm sure all of the above would be easy to cover, and if you really think that all hip-hop is negative, I can gladly send a mp3 your way to show you positive and/or popular songs. Hip-hop is and has been such a HUGE part of the music scene in America, it would be rather insane to leave it out.

A few artists I suggest ::

Elvis

Bob Marley

Eric Clapton

Bruce Springsteen

Al Green

Miles Davis

BB King

Eminem

Usher

Tim McGraw

Parliament

NSync

Elton John

Eagles

Bob Seager

Billy Joel

Bare Naked Ladies

:D

I also don't think I should do rap because most of these songs are wildly inappropriate (I don't think I should be explaining what a ho is, or why American men love women with big butts).

Why not? In addition to its crossover success in the U.S., Rap is one of America's biggest musical exports these days and is being copied with enthusiasm in China, Japan, and especially, Korea. Might as well try to introduce the kiddos to the economic and social conditions that gave rise to the genre..and if possible, the incongruity of suburban white kids in SUV's cruising the streets listening to Gangsta'.

For example, Hotel California and Bohemian Rhapsoday are both definitive, but it's a bit too difficult to understand the meaning behind them.

Well, difficult or no, HOTEL CALIFORNIA is already one of the most recognized pop songs in China and Eagles CD's are de rigeur in shops.

I'm considering choosing songs that have defined American music through the decades

I think you need to redefine your intent with more clarity: How has BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, a song by a British band, "defined American music through the decades?" Just by being incredibly popular? In that case, you'd need to include iconic music by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Elton John, Bee Gees, and later U2...and would you include '80's MTV-driven success like the "definitve" Duran Duran and Culture Club? The point is that after the British Invasion and until the advent of Rap/Hip-Hop, the term "American Music" is fuzzy at best...with two big exceptions: Country and Soul/Funk/R&B.

Agree with xuechengfeng, if you're serious, you'd better check your personal tastes at the door...

Other requirements: no sappy love songs, no Celine Dion or Sting

Celine Dion is now an exclusive, multi-zillionare headliner in Las Vegas...how American is that (especially for a Canadian)?? And from the 90's onward, Sting is certainly "definitive," platinum-selling, Adult Contemporary in America....not bad for an aging Brit New Waver.

Oops, I guess I left out Jazz and Blues in that "two big exceptions" statement...so make that "four big exceptions," although Blues very nearly died out in America until its rediscovery in the 80's and 90's...and now its PBS material.

How about this for a working thesis for your classes: The history of American music mirrors the African-American experience in America and is the story of the appropriation and modification of Black musical forms and, later, the music of disaffected British youth, by White Americans. Damn, I should go back to college.

Thanks everyone for your input and I will take all your suggestions into consideration, though it's mildy annoying (and somewhat amusing) to have my sentences analyzed one by one. Since the first draft of my syllabus is due in a day, I don't have much time to mull over too many details.

A few of you have insisted that I include rap in the curriculum. The bottom line is that the parents of these students are paying good money for this English summer camp, so there's really no good reason for me to include any offensive material that they might raise an eyebrow at (rap is also notoriously hard to understand, even for native English speakers) Mainstream popular rap now has become commercialized beyond recognition from its roots, and the only economic or social conditions I can attribute to what it's become is that these rappers have become filthy rich, and thus can afford 24 inch rims and can talk about smacking their hunnies and getting oral sex all day. Putting that aside, I personally enjoy some rap (like Eminem, who I think is very creative, save his latest stuff). I just don't see that much merit, for the purposes of this class, in analyzing our own pop culture of excess and superficiality (my own problem). Maybe I'll throw in Rapper's Delight.

It's also important to know that this class is firstly an English class and secondly a cultural appreciation class, and not really a music class, so there's absolutely no reason for me to include music that I can't stand, however popular it may be. I'm not going to try to impose my musical tastes on anyone, but I'm sure I can find definitive songs in each genre that I consider musically valid (ie not Sting or Celine Dion, I'd actually prefer to listen to Britney any day). Also, I'm not an expert on American music or any music, but I'm sure most people would agree that America's musical heritage (one that I, sadly, cannot claim, being a twenty year old Chinese girl) is not the product of solely American bands. So yes, the music of the Beatles, by being incredibly popular in America and through its effect on American music, is about as American as music can get. I really don't see how the distinction of citizenship comes into play.

I just want for these kids to have fun, learn some English, get some good discussions going, and experience some culture shock. I'm really not qualified to give them much of a cultural or historical perspective.

Cheers and thanks again,

N.

Hi again,

You've probably already drafted your syllabus, but for the sake of arguing, I'm going to keep talking. :D

It honestly seems like you have a bias towards rap. If you skim through the majority of popular music, there is always controversial lyrics. However, like any other genre, you can find rap music with deep meaning, no cursing, non-offensive.. music with a message. When you turn on the radio, you don't typically find that, which I believe is where your problem lies. And if you have 2 working ears, rap is not hard to understand (I'm assuming you mean hearing, not meaning).

The 24 rims, smacking hoes, etc. shows you really haven't the faintest idea about hip-hop, and maybe even some bias. You really should give it a chance, or not listen to it at all. The reality is, most recording artists who are not on Jay Z, Eminem, 50 cent levels work other jobs, and do not come away from hip-hop millionaires, these are just people trying to appeal to their audiences so they can make SOME money.

For a culture to be so influential in todays day and age, and even in the early 90's I find it sad that you can't include it. Then again, if you did include it it would probably be the songs you've demonstrated through your lyrical quotes, which would be a shame to show Chinese without a hint of American music, so I suppose it's for the better.

xuechengfeng-

I agree 100% about you point of view on rap. But it's hard to teach with. I introduced my best student that I've ever had to Snoop, Dre and a few others, and she became depressed because she wasn't understanding anything. I try to play, "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marely, which if you know the song, is easy to follow with slowly pronounced words. Even then, many students can't quite follow the lyrics. You have to give students input that is just slightly above their current level.

Still, no disrespceting rap. It'll only get more popular through the likes of Jay, Wilbur, MC Hotdog and others, which will lead towards more love of American rap in time.

I have some time to kill between classes, so I guess I'll keep talking too...

No point in debating semantics, but it appears that you have much more concrete ideas and stronger opinions than your first post indicated, so why not just post an abbreviated draft of your syllabus and then, if and when necessary, people could comment on "what will play in Peoria," so to speak? You also didn't mention where you will be teaching; where I live kids are probably way less "cool" than their counterparts in the major cities of the east.

As has already been mentioned, here is what is far and away the most recognized Western music in China...and available through multiple CD titles:

Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Aqua, Kenny G, Richard Clayderman, Bandari, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Madonna

Here is what is currently widely available in shops (i.e. "officially pirated"), sometimes multiple titles, sometimes only one:

All of The Above, plus...

Sting, Nirvana, 50-Cent, Linkin' Park, Jay-Z, Seal, Sade, Christina Aguilera, Avril Lavigne, Shania Twain, Dido, Guns 'n Roses, U2, Eminem, The Eagles, The Beatles, Elvis, Marilyn Manson, Janet Jackson, Nora Jones, Suede, Michael Learns To Rock, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, Kenny Rogers, Lionel Ritchie, Blue, Coldplay, Radiohead, Travis, Bob Marley

Marley's THREE LITTLE BIRDS is one of the songs in the HEINEMANN HITS book, so it is a well-recognized, ESL-friendly song. All told though, "sappy love longs" rule the roost in China and there is much here you probably won't find "musically valid." Give some thought, though, to using music easily available to students in China in order to encourage them to continue listening critically and practicing their English.

xuechengfeng-

I really don't know where you got the idea that I am biased towards ALL hip hop although I will admit I don't have a very whole picture of the genre. I was merely pointing out something you yourself agreed with, that the popular hip hop that you find on most radio stations is not positive, and although being positive is not a requirement for me to include the song in the curriculum, being somewhat popular and somewhat meaningful is.

Also I have no problem with controversial lyrics, but I just don't find it tasteful enough the way they are used in these popular rap songs to include in a high school curriculum (some of these kids are 13). Consider Chris Rock's bewilderment with the state of popular hip hop in his recent HBO show, towards such lyrics as "Til the sweat drip from my balls..." And also, I think the popular opinion around town is that rap is pretty hard to understand, so I really don't know what your arguing there. Some of them E-NUN-CI-ATE but most are not so generous. I don't think these Chinese kids will understand a word unless I provide them with lyrics.

As a college student, I watch my share of MTV, and I fully and sincerely enjoy the crap on there (the videos are entertaining to watch and the music is catchy and fun to dance to). You keep saying how there's positive and meaningful (and good, musically) hip hop out there, which I obviously don't doubt, but you've continued to keep everyone in suspense. It would be a little too much effort for me to seek it out myself, since the only access I have is from MTV and radio stations, but I would be completely open to it if you pointed me in the right direction. It just needs to be somewhat popular and mainstream, enough to make a statement about American culture. And Tupac is the answer everyone spits out, so I would need some specific songs and justification if your gonna give me that one.

Sorry for being difficult. Thanks a lot!