Chinese-Forums

Earthquake Donation Websites

Quest

I just read missionfish's fee schedule, wish I hadn't donated through them. Also, money won't go to the non-profits for 30 days... then the non-profits will have to send aid to local partners. Wish there was a more direct route for us in America. Too bad most of the local websites aren't setup properly for overseas donations.

You might want to check out KylinTV's donation program. The company is based in Plainview, NY. They are matching 100% of each donation, and there are no fees and overhead costs. I don't know enough about them to make a recommendation. They seem like a trustworthy organization.

I came across their program in 世界日報: http://www.kylintv.com/WhatIsKylinTV/donateNow.asp

----KyLinTV announces today its relief campaign to help China earthquake victims. In response to the disaster that rocked Wenchuan County on May 12th, KyLinTV has established the KyLinTV China Earthquake Relief Fund.

Each donation to this fund will be matched by the same amount from KyLinTV and dispersed to those victims in China. In an effort to make an impact and generate the most aid, 100% of all donations will go directly to these victims, with no overhead costs or handling fees. KyLinTV is matching dollar for dollar every single donation to help in this time of crisis.

There are three ways to make a donation: via KyLinTV's website www.kylintv.com; calling the KyLinTV China Earthquake Relief Fund Hotline at 1-877-888-8598 extension 6; or KyLinTV subscribers can donate from their set- top-boxes.

“My deepest thoughts are with the victims and their families. I encourage everyone to reach out and support those who need our help. As a company that strives to connect Chinese worldwide, we urge everyone to aid in this relief effort and save lives,” said Nancy Li, CEO of KyLinTV.

KyLinTV is the first IPTV service dedicated to the Chinese community living in North America, offering both live broadcast and 30,000+ hours of video on demand programming

Well, I try to avoid these things but on request of an admin I am going to post my two cents.

The two organizations that I would say to give to are the Red Cross (specifically if you can give to the Sichuan Red Cross as they are the most directly involved) and an organization called Heart to Heart.

Here are my reasons: Red Cross is the only organization I have really seen on the ground and doing a lot. They are all over and they have the permission to be there.

The same with Heart to Heart (which to be fair is the organization that I am currently working with (meaning I am volunteering long term with them, not paid)). We are not big but we are the ONLY organization that permission to be on the ground doing work. We also have a long term focus, not just the short term rescue effort. We also have (since we are the only ones with permission) a ton of other organizations wanting to work with us (the only one that I can pull off my head at the moment is Samaritan's Purse but there was a lot more).

One last note: almost 100% of all fund raising for disaster relief is done within the first 2 weeks. After then, everyone just forgets about the need. Mainly because it shifts to being a rebuilding problem and a IDP (internally displaced person, ie refugee in your own country) problem. So as I am on the ground here doing long term strategy, try not to forget us, the need will not just go away. I will try and post more about what our goals our in the Earthquake thread (meaning what the needs are and the plans for recovery of the earthquake) when I get a chance. Right now I am working 14 hour days trying to get established.

I donated again to HK Red Cross online. I didn't fill out my personal information on the first page (only put down my last name and part of my first name in Chinese characters). On the credit card page, they only asked for credit card number and expiration date, I wonder whether they will be able to get the money... guess I will monitor my credit card account to see.