Chinese-Forums

Work Visa after arrival in China?

cattylynn39

Hello to all,

My question is can you get a Work Visa after moving to China without leaving the Country.

To be more plain, My husband works for a large company. And we are due to arrive in June. We now live in Germany, he is German and I am a US citizen. He will work and I will go to school. But I would like to work at a Training Center, teaching American Conversation class. Can I go through my embassy to get the Visa, or do I have to go home for this? It cost so much to go home to the US, I'm not sure what I would get paid

would be worth the trouble.

looking forward to your comments,Cat

There is no such thing as a Chinese "work visa". There is the Z-visa which is a visa to ENTER China to take up pre-arranged employment and which must be changed into a residence permit within 30 days. You can only do this if the employer is authorised to employ foreignerse (or has bribed the issuing authority) . Most have done neither.

The permit is attached to that specific job. If you leave that job, technically speaking the visa expires immediately. In practice, you will have at least enough time to get out of the country or apply for a new visa (although this is becoming much harder.)

Very few "training centres" are authorised to employ foreigners - although many do. Part of the reason why China is now clamping down.

Your embassy does not issue Chinese visas! That is the Chinese government's job.

All that said, if your husband is legally employed, holds a Z-visa on entry and exchanges it for a residence permit, then you get one too as accompanying spouse. Still doesn't allow you to work for companies illegally employing foreigners though.

If you think this is complicated, just think how much more difficult it is for Chinese people to get a visa for your country.

It is legally possible to find employment while in China ... on which, like Liu Zhou mentions, you get a work permit and, accordingly, a residence permit.

Personally, I never had a Z visa. I came on an L visa (tourist), on which my employer changed it into an F visa (business) ... on which I strongly complained I would not travel to Hong Kong on my own expenses to renew my visa every six months. My employer then managed to give me a proper work permit and residence permit.

So it is possible, but it all depends on the guanxi of your employer with the local government.

However, don't just assume. Like Liu Zhou says, most employers don't have the necessary guanxi (nor are they willing to pay for the expenses), and simply make you apply for F visas over and over again.

So if I have the same Z-Visa as my husband and then the Residence Permit I'm I allowed to work for legally functioning firms? My husband works for Mercedes auto , and I'm sure he will have the right Visa's for us.

Absolutely not!

A residence permit is only what it says: a permit that lets you reside (read: live) in China.

If you would like to take up employment legally, you need a work permit as well. (again, it simply says what it says: a permit that lets you work in China).

Both are completely different documents with different purposes.

So guys , to save alot of frustration here . Just tell me what are some solutions to my question. What do I have to do to work, while living in China . Do I have to go home to get

what I need or can I get it there in China? What ever you want to call it , I need to work in China while going to school. What should I do? What steps should I take?

Thanks for your input, Cat

My question is can you get a Work Visa after moving to China without leaving the Country.

Officially, no. But there are ways around it - visa agents. Going to HK was good enough before but I am not sure now.

What you have to do? Theoretically? Find a job, either inside or outside China, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that your employer can legally employ foreigners and request a work permit. Only then are you legally allowed to work in China.

However, the fact that you also study won't make things easier: it'll be nearly impossible to find an employer who will apply for a work permit, if you don't intend to work on a full-time basis.

However, the fact that you also study won't make things easier: it'll be nearly impossible to find an employer who will apply for a work permit, if you don't intend to work on a full-time basis.

Agreed.

To be honest, if you have the relevant paperwork to be living in China as an accompanying spouse, then even though technically you might not allowed to work, realisticly, if you are only doing part-time work, or work on the side, most employers won't ask or care about what kind of visa you have.

From your post it sounded like you found a training center you were interested in working for.

Technically and actually are often different in China.

Technically you're supposed to go back to your home country to apply for the visa to china.

But actually, if you are very humble, nice, pleading with evidence that you are long term resident of Germany (rental agreement, resident permit) the Chinese embassy might be nice and give it you. (this with the official invitation letter from the training center in China)

Also this 30 day Z visa is not exclusive to the company that invited you once in CHina if you find a different company to give you better conditions and a resident permit you can go with them with no other consequences.

Also lately the Chinese embassy and western embassies have been mroe difficult with visas. So keep that in mind.

Also technically if you come on your husband's visa you should not be able to work in China. Like imron said, actually most employers don't care so much about the visa as if you are native speaker. You will be paid likely in cash, (think 600-1500 Euros a month) depending on the city and the company.

Good luck,

SImon:)