Chinese-Forums

Error message translation

Esezti

really? could you show us where we can find this definition?
skylee
Brainless word to word translation
xiaocai

when I learn a new word, I try to relate "intended" meaning to the "constituent" meanings.

Sometimes such "links" are not too obvious. But it is such "links" that make the words yours. I try not use "brainless" word to word translation. :lol:

Maybe I am wrong in ascribing the meaning of "limit" to 繁 whose general or dictionary or DIRECT meanings of: many, numerous, manifold, etc... is implying something which is limitless. BUT I will always remember this word in future because I have associated/linked the meaning as such. (Does this make any sense to you? ) Language to me is rarely cut and dried. Black or White. Straightforward. Logical etc... Above all, it must be 靠谱。 :D i.e you can use it and makes effective sense to others...Amazing isn't it such words and we are still talking about 中文词 can be invented straight out of “thin air" and you think hurh? where is the relationship? you say .. when you meet a new word you have not come across? It is not in my dictionary? How come? My teacher didn't sanction this? It is possible? .

Anyway it makes mighty sense to me...

I have just joined this board.. so I have enormous problems trying to post and re-edit my thoughts. Anyway what I am saying is this method may not work for all. like gougou says below I am associating with the "wrong" meaning. Well everyone to his own I guess.:lol:

If everything has to be so "strictly" interpreted then 谱 would never be in 靠谱!:lol:

Chinese is not my first or native language. This is sort of the board for that I guess. I am just finding with characters there is enormous flexibility and learning them is different from learning alphabetically base phonetic languages so one should strive not to be too translating of things word for word..(xiaocai?)

BUT I will always remember this word in future because I have associated/linked the meaning as such.
Huh? So your vocabulary learning strategy is to associate words with the wrong meaning? Not sure whether remembering them always is really the goal I'd strive for then.