Chinese-Forums

Kunming Health Certificate Info

mr.stinky

For the past 2-1/2 years the authorities have been permitting me to extend my residence

permit (under student visa) without renewing the health certification. However, i plan to

move to guangxi in a few months, and the university there requires a health certificate

issued within the last 12 months. (this is national regulation??)

For those coming to Kunming, here's a little info on the process.

The traveller's quarantine office is located near the airport. You can take bus 52, 67, or

103 to the airport terminal. The center is only 10-minutes walk from the bus platform.

Cross the street (春城路), head north a couple hundred meters, and turn left at the

飞行大酒店, another 100 meters and turn right. You'll find the center about 200 meters

on the right, located behind the big 'ole tanks of aviation fuel. Hours are M-F 8:30-11:30,

2:00-5:00.

Bring with you: passport, 3 passport-sized photos, 326 rmb

Procedure this time was fast and painless. First go to the consultation window for

the application. (one page, in english and chinese). Return to the window, and have your

data entered, then go across to the payment window. From there you have eight or ten

departments to visit, spread throughout the first and second floor. (eyesight, height and

weight, blood pressure, ecg, ultrasound, chest x-ray, blood sample, and peepee sample).

Once you've filled the little cup, head back to the consultation window, turn in your

stamped form, and you're free to go. You should be able to pick up the health

certificate in two days.

The entire process today took under one hour.

seemed clean enough in the building. yes, they use a new needle, unwrapped in front of

you (then they take 4 vials of blood). the nurse wore two sets of gloves, standard white

medical gloves over a pair of clear plastic ones. i don't know why. as far as i could tell,

the x-ray was done properly (not that i know much about x-rays...). exposure time seemed

minimal, or at least no longer than ones i'd had stateside.

• 1 year later...

I recently had this health check for purposes of getting a student visa and can update it a year after the original post. The facility is in the same location. Their phone number, in case you get lost or have other questions, is 7161994. The cost and procedures have not changed since May, 2008. Exam time is still about an hour and you still receive the finished certificate in two or three days.

The blood sample draw was done with good sterile technique and a high level of proficiency and the Chest x-ray was only one view, which minimizes exposure. I'm a physician in my home country and was wondering about those aspects of the exam myself.

All in all, not a bad experience. And seems the same as it was a year ago.