Chinese-Forums

Searching for solo recordings of Chinese instruments

hkenty

Greetings -

I am doing some research on Chinese instruments, and need recordings of solo instruments. Unfortunately, I really need recordings of just the solo instruments, so solos over other instruments will not work. Can anybody recommend some good CDs to purchase for any of these instruments?

The instruments that I need solo performances of are as follows:

Wind: Bangdi, Qudi, Xindi, Gao Sheng, Zhong Sheng, Suona, and Mezzo Middle Suona

Plucked: Yangqin, Liuqin, Pipa, Zhongruan, Daruan, Guzheng

Percussion: Dingyingu, Dagu, Qing

String: Gaohu, Erhu, Zhonghu, Gehu, and Bagehu

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Howard Kenty

The only one I happen to have with me now is "Selections of Suona Music"

(Suona Mingqu Jingxuan 唢呐名曲精选) ISRC CN-E12-95-317-00/A-J6

The other two are in my mother's car at home and I don't recall the exact titles.

It's easy to purchase these tapes or CDs at large music shops in China and possible to find them in Hong Kong as well.

Hi Confucius,

Being in the U.S., it is a lot harder to find these solo recordings. The title of the suona album was a good lead, though, as a search for that title revealed a company that has a lot of Chinese recordings. If you happen to think of anything else, let me know.

Thanks for all the help!

Howard Kenty

All you need is a pen pal (or true friend) in China. Tell them your specifications and they may be able to send it to you cheaper than if you try to order it on some Internet web site.

There are plenty of Chinese music students who would be eager to do this big favor for you and go "beyond the call of duty" to help you get each and every solo recording on your list. All you have to do in return is proper reimbursement (A lot of these tapes are less than 25 RMB which is about US $3) and timely English correspondence (once or twice a month) for their language practice.

Good luck!