Chinese-Forums

和 and 与

aboooot

Dear friends,

和 and 与 are interchangeable? Do they have the same meaning?

if they are used in the same sentence does it mean that they have a different level of coordination? For example here

独特理念和建筑空间与形体语言

does it mean

unique ideas, space of the building and body language

or

unique ideas and language of the space of the building and the body ?

,1.和 and 与 are interchangeable? Do they have the same meaning?

----------Yes. but to avoid the repeat of a word in a senetence in which more than one 和 are needed, the both words are take. 和 is more colloquial than 与.

2.if they are used in the same sentence does it mean that they have a different level of coordination? For example here

独特理念和建筑空间与形体语言

does it mean

unique ideas, space of the building and body language

or

unique ideas and language of the space of the building and the body ?

---------Ok , it is somehow complex. If unique ideas,space of the building and body language are three independent parts respectively, 与 is of the upper coordination and 和is inferior. it means "(unique ideas, space of the building) and (body language) " , but only of weak coordination ,almost equal to "unique ideas, space of the building and body language"

if the three parts arent independent respectively,space of the building and body are as a whole adjective to modifty language. it means "(unique ideas), (language of building's space and body) " , ...................

ok whether it is independent to others or not , and how independent it is are decided by ur understanding of the sentence and the contex. Yes , a same sentence can have different meanings.

Commonly they have same meaning “and”. Compared to “和”, “与” is more formal in writing and basically nobody would use it orally.

If they are in one sentence, they could mean different levels or just use for avoiding repeating.

As for the sentence “独特理念和建筑空间与形体语言”, it will be easier to explain it if you could give more context before and after it.

Yale's Chinese Usage Dictionary (http://berlin.cls.yale.edu/chineseusagedictionary/) lists them as more-or-less the same, with 与 being more formal: http://www.cls.yale.edu/chineseusagedictionary/0221.html

I'm not exactly sure how to translate that, but I would think it's more along the lines of

a language structure for new ideas and interior space

which makes no sense to me :(

I'm sorry I didn't give you the context.

This is the whole sentence

国家体育场设计中的独特理念和建筑空间与形体语言、运用的多种新材料和新技术、以及堪称世界级大工程所具有的前所未有的挑战性与复杂性,决定了必须采用不同于以往的、新的设计方法和新的组织管理方法等,才能出色地完成设计任务。

also "body language" in this context doesn't make any sense to me...

As my understanding “独特理念”,” 建筑空间”,” 形体语言”,” 运用的多种新材料和新技术,” 堪称世界级大工程所具有的前所未有的挑战性与复杂性” are at same level. All of them “决定了…”

“和”, “与” and “以及” are just used to avoid repeating.

“形体语言” means the ways how architects organize volumes and shapes of different parts of the building. It’s kind of body language of the building.

I hope it makes sense to you.

When mentioning two things together, you may use either 和 or 与, as they are almost of the same meaning. If we talk about the difference, maybe the TENDENCY of the words. By using 和, you make the two things mentioned parallel while by 与 you make the two contrasted. The difference sometimes is very slight and can be ignored, but sometimes get quite significant. For example

甲方和乙方与丙方的争论。。。。。。

Here, in the disbute, Party A and Party B are one side, and Party C the other.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with mrjackalope. And 跟 is also used a lot. In writing, especially when you are writing something longer, you would want to use different words so that your writing won't get too repetitive/boring. That's why we need 和, 與, 跟, 同 etc. It's like using "and", "as well as", "along with", "together with" etc.

Oh, now that 同 has been mentioned, also learn the set phrase/chengyu “和而不同", which means that a person can/should get along with the others, but does not necessarily agree with them. Another one is "和光同塵", to mix with the light and dust, meaning to drift with the society, making oneself invisible in the crowd.

Besides the meaning "and", 和 and 同 have several other meanings.

• 3 weeks later...

For spoken chinese,开口音(mouth-opened pronouncation) is always better than 闭口音(mouth-closed pronouncation),because the 开口音 is more easy to pronounce.

So,in spoken chinese,和 is better than 与。

For written chinese,nowadays,there isn't much difference between 和 and 与。

In classic chinese,与 is used.