Chinese-Forums

Getting a Z (working) visa in Hong kong

onebir

First option is to apply for a Z visa in mainland China (without leaving the country):

1.Applying for a work permit

2.Converting your current F/L visa into a 2-month Z visa

Tinamt,

Just wondering, are you saying that in converting an L visa to a Z visa you are only allowed a 2-month Z visa? After those two months are up, will I need to re-apply once I'm in China?

General question, how long do Z visa's last? I was told so long as you are still employed with the employer who issued your Z visa, you will be okay. (After that point, I understand there is some stuff about being able to switch over to a new employer.) Is this true?

Thanks!

Edited by BradenLJH

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just searched the internet for 40 minutes looking for the answer to this question, only to finally be directed here. Oh, why didn't I think of Chinese forums first? I really should know better by now.

Anyways, wish me luck everyone. I am going to HK at the end of the week with my Alien Employment License and my invitation letter. Hope this works!

• 3 weeks later...

From this thread it seems like it's still possible to get a Z visa in HK fairly easily... but I've heard some warnings about tightened restrictions due to the Shanghai Expo 2010.

Has anyone had recent luck getting a Z visa in Hong Kong? I will be attempting this next month (after I get all the paperwork sorted in Shanghai). I hope it works, because my L visa is only single entry... I'd hate to be stuck in Hong Kong.

Hunter, i presume you had all the needed paperwork in order. Or did you just walk over and apply, more or less naked? (with few documents)

Yes paper work was in order. One thing I know (but could be proven wrong) about Chinese visa's is that as long as the paper work is on order, there is never any problems. Even if you are getting the same visa over and over again.

• 2 months later...

Bump.

Have a couple questions about getting a Z visa. I thought I'd post here, rather than start a new thread.

I'm currently in Beijing with a multiple-entry F visa; it expires July 17, 2010. I received two forms from the university where I will be teaching: a work permit and an invitation letter. (The invitation letter looks more like a form than a letter.) I'm scheduled to begin work on September 13, 2010. The university is suggesting that I go to Hong Kong on July 15 (two days before my visa expires) and process my application for my work visa. Can I come back to the mainland with a Z visa, even though I don't start work until September?

Thanks in advance.

Can't see that it would be any problem. It's not so far away enough that whoever is issuing the visa will query why you need it so early, and when you come back into China they'll just look at the visa, which won't say anything about the date you start work. As long as you're heading back to the university so you can get them to process the residence permit, you should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is curious - I just got back from HK two days ago - no problems whatsoever. Handed over my alien work certificate, visa notice letter, a handful of cash, and 2 days later got back my passport with Z-visa.... and had a great long weekend!

evanc, congrats! I'll be heading there next week to apply for my Z visa. How much did it cost? Did you have to show them your health certificate? An earlier poster mentioned having to present his/her's. I'm taking mine just in case. And just to be clear, is this where you had it processed? Did you have to schedule an appointment?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

got my z visa. 1350HKD for Americans wanting "rush" service. I handed my paperwork in at about 6pm on Monday and picked up my visa on Tuesday around 4ish. not sure of the costs for express and regular service. take a pen! also bring the documents provided by your employer and a passport-sized photo. their website (click on the link in my previous post) said Mondays are very busy and they weren't kidding: I waited 4 hours! two outside; two inside. take a book, flashcards, Mp3 player, etc.

they are currently remodeling their offices; so you need to enter from the first floor, facing central plaza. just look for the long line of people. overall, a hassle-free experience.

Great news Dean. I am off soon. I am on a L-visa (married) but got myself a cracker teaching job in a research institute. I am hoping that being a high profile institution I should have no problems. I have just handed in the medical so I am at the final stages.

The problem is that the link that you posted still says that I must return to my native (Ireland) country...

I will report back.

GaHanna,

They need to delete that notice since it was written two years ago and no longer applies. Shouldn't be a problem. One of the two forms my employer gave me had something like "to be processed in Hong Kong" typed along the top in Chinese and English.

By the way, the map on that website was spot on. I had no problems finding the place.

Let us know how things go!

senor boogie woogie

Howdy!

I am an American living in China. I have been living here for the past nine years. Mostly on Residence Permits (Z) but sometimes on the L visa. The reason for the L is that I am married to a citizen.

I have decided to accept a position at a University. All my paperwork is completed, but I have to go to Hong Kong to complete the process. I really do not want to go there. It's expensive, far away, and the money is different.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the Z visa? As in, how many days I have to sit in Hong Kong? Can one pay an extra fee to get quicker service? What is the paperwork requirements?

Are there any cheap hostels I could stay at? I have been looking at Paterson Rd which is near the office as a possibility. Clean bed, how shower and towels is all that I need.

That island looks like it has a lot of park land around it worth exploring. However, I really want to get in and get out.

Merged with what I suspect will contain a lot of the answers.

For hotels - last couple of trips I've stayed at the Bridal Tea House chain and booked via Agoda, usually pay something over 300HKD a night. They're a cut above the usual guesthouse, but you still have extraordinarily small rooms. Very nice bathrooms though. If you want a cheap guesthouse without the chaos of Chongqing or Mirador mansions (which everyone should do at least once, though) then Oi Suen not far from Mongkok East MTR is a good choice.

If you want to get into some green, consider a ferry from Central to Lamma island and then hiking about a bit, or heading to the Ngong Ping (?) cable car thing and doing some combination of walking / cable car / bus to the summit and back. I walked down, was quite fun with the views over the airport.