Chinese-Forums

Visa for language students

nicefreak

A friend of mine tried several times to get a visa for backpacking China in June/July. They refused him several times.

German media also had a couple of stories with visa problems for business travelers and language students.

Do you guys out there think, there will be visa problems after the Olympics? I'm planning to go to Kunming in November and would just hate to encounter visa trouble.

Thanks for your comments...

Also check the numerous other threads on visa here.

Generally, it looks like these days one can only get a tourist visa in their home country (so not in Hong Kong), and you need a plane ticket and a hotel reservation to get one. See another thread on ways to circumvent the hotel requirement. Once you get into China, I doubt anyone is seriously going to check where you're staying.

Rumor (on these forums, mostly) has it that in October the visa situation will return to normal, so if you go in November you should be fine.

why not choose a govt. owned school or state owned schools,cheaper,good environment and pretty good community to make a heavy link and get wet in cultural variations,private schools some time may be excellent on quality but the experience you face from big govt. schools can never be underestimatedBy the way i suggest everyone to choose govt . schools for languages so that finding a decent job will also be easier later for you.

cheers

I've been to the Chinese Embassy here in Holland and they said it shouldn't be a problem to get an X visa for studying in China in september. As long as you have the right forms. The chinese education center also said I shouldn't worry about getting an X visa to study in China. I don't know about any other type of visa though.

visa can be obtained but i see many advantages on learning at govt. or province owned school than private schools for various reasons not only money,its my experience after staying more than 4 yrs . in china as a foreign student,definetly i may have more knowledge about educational systems and processes here than you,am i right?just my suggestions but its you to choose and i know you have also thought a lot in this and choosed a best one.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I'm studying at a private language school this summer and just received a tourist visa. I just showed proof of hotels and roundtrip airfare and received a 90-day, multiple entry visa valid for a year. I got it here in the US.