Chinese-Forums

Work Contracts

JohnDoe2

No real rule, it could go either way. Thinking about it, I guess signing before hand means you at least know what you've been promised, but signing after gives you a bit of leeway if you turn up and don't like the look of the place.

Having said that, signing on arrival is probably more common.

Roddy

Then should i assume that the letter of invitation from the Provincial Government (whichis what I need in order to secure the proper visa) is enough commitment from the university.

The university for whom I intend to teach has been very open with me and has answered all of my questions promptly. In fact, I have a running email correspondence with someone in the IEO-- three days per week. I am getting very positive responses to my questions, and I have told the university much about myself.

I was just a little worried when the IEO told me that the contract would be signed upon arrival. I thought that it was a subtle hint to get lost. I had led myself to believe that contracts would be executed before the hiree leaves home.

If it is more common for the contract to be signed when the teacher arrives, then I'll go with that.

Many thanks to you, Roddy, and others who make this board what it is. You folks have created a very valuable resource.

If they’ve got the letter of invitation they’ve already gone to a reasonable amount of trouble, and presumably wouldn’t dump you unless there was a change of circumstances – student numbers fall, you turn out to be difficult customer, etc. If I remember correctly, I signed two contracts after arrival and one in advance.

Roddy