Chinese-Forums

Studying in Beijing through Homestay?

travel2china

Ni hao!

So, I've been looking all over the internet for a good homestay program in Beijing. I'm sort of going through the final stages of program selection. I'm pretty new to the world of Chinese study (I took a few years in college), so I joined this site looking for some advice.

Anyway, I've done a lot of research and it looks like I want to go with Lotus Educational Foundation. I'm doing a final run-through to see if anyone has any final comments on this particular program. I saw a few other posts about Lotus but they are from over a year ago. Has anything changed since then and do they provide all the services they promise? Any other suggestions? Is this a good time to go or should I wait until next summer? I want to go during the Olympics, is this a good idea? My goal is to both get a better understanding of China, study Chinese and come away with a greatexperience.

Thanks for any and all advice.

If your goal is to learn to SPEAK CHINESE (beautiful Mandarin of course), see an incredible country thru the eyes of local people, experience what you couldn't experience anywhere else (by the way, I can go out and hang with non-speaking Chinese people at bars and clubs any time back at home, so why in the world would I want to do that in China when they're so much else to do) eat great local food, and meet wonderful local CHINESE people, then you should do homestay with Lotus. I always felt I had a safety net if any mishap would occur (and I tend to get into a lot of mishaps). Lotus are great matchmakers and set me up with the perfect family.My host family became such good friends that I regularly visit them (I'm still in China) and they consider me a good friend, which is a big deal in China by the way. I also learned a lot of little cultural things like proper dining etiquette from my host parents. Never eat with your hands and always finish everything on your plate .Lotus by the way also makes a point of really teaching you the many facets about life in China and the Chinese culture during their weekend excursion trips which are a part of the program. My best and most memorable experience was their optional trip to visit a Chinese senior center home in the rural part of China to do volunteer work. It was by far the most heart warming and life touching experience I have ever had.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I participated in Lotus Educational Foundation's Homestay in Beijing in the fall semester of 2006. I had a really wonderful experience living with a typical Chinese family and studying at BLCU. Lotus' service was as promised on the website and more! The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful, and my homestay experience taught me many things I would never had learned or understood about the Chinese culture had I not done a homestay.

I definitely recommend this program to anyone interested in living and learning in Beijing.

Stephanie Lin,

Columbia University, graduate student

• Like 1

hello, i would like to know more about these programs,

i was takin a look into the blcu + lotus section, and they seem to have the app deadline extended specially for them, for like 20 days than what it originally says in the paper i got here... and theres exceptions about applying after deadline app.. how's that?

anyways about those prices too, are those RMB or USD, sorry if its a dumb question.. but i had to make sure..

also what does it include when u pay the fee.. for example ( quoted from the website )

Course

4 Weeks Summer 2008

Date

Aug 04,2008 --

Aug 29,2008

University

Beijing Language and Culture University

Deadline

Jul 20,2008

Fee

$2,880

any more advices. . thx

Hey there,

About the deadline and why it seems to be extended, I don't really know what you mean. I would just email the Lotus staff and ask.

The price of the program is in US dollars.You can probably get the answers to all your technical questions here: http://www.lotuseducation.org/faq/

Feel free to ask me any questions about general living in Beijing, traveling to other cities in China, etc.

Steph

the same plan that i stated above... the application deadline on BLCU calendar 2008 is June 30, 2008..

and on lotus site it says that if u wish to enter after application u can call them...

If interested in applying after the deadline, please contact Lotus. Space may still be available.

i mean i am in blcu and i had so many troubles, now i am not sure if i will be able to enter to that same course i applied, aug 04, 2008..

but i applied like 3 days before app, never tho i would have so much troubles because i was in already, what a pain with them..

anyways back to the topic i wonder how lotus homestay do then, sounds like piece of cake to them while im sufferin everyday wonderin if they will accept me ..

• 2 years later...