Chinese-Forums

5 Day Special Shenzhen Visa - Some Facts

flameproof

Updated: 17th June 2010

The 5-Day Special Shenzhen Visa will ONLY be given to Hong Kong residents! be given to nearly all nationalities, except US, FR, PH, IN

Just as a note for those residing in Hong Kong and find it now too troublesome to pop over to Shenzhen for a daytrip: The special 5-day Shenzhen is still there:

Here are the key points:

• The visa is called "Shenzhen Special Economic Zone Tourist Visa" or "深圳特区旅游签证"

• You can get it only at the Lowu/Lohuo border

• You can buy it after the Hong Kong passport check, before the CN passport check, one floor up.

• It's inside the CN customs building 1 floor up

• It's HK$150 for most nationalities, Hong Kong ID is currently not required!

• It's HK$450 for UK passports (no idea why)

• Beside UK 18 other countries have similar fees, mostly African places

• USA, French, Indian and Philippine passports can't cross at all

• Takes about 5 Minutes to get, you don't need a photo

• In theory you are not allowed to leave the Shenzhen SEZ

• In practice you don't get checked when you exit SZ

• You *may* get checked when you enter SZ SEZ (I never got checked the last few years and cross a few times a week). It's a risk you should avoid though.

• Visa get usually checked in hotels (just a reminder)

• You can exit through other borders inside the SEZ (Huanggang, Futian etc.)

[updated: 17th June 2010 in red]

Last time I was at Huang Gang border, they would not issue any kind of visa unless you had a Hong Kong ID card. They used to issue 3 month L visas at the border.

As you say, it may be possible to get this 5 day special visa at Luohu. However, they didn't know to tell me about it at Huang Gang.

• 1 year later...

One important update:

USA Passport holder can NOT get any visa at LuoHu (that's old)

French Passport holder can NOT get any visa at LuoHu (that's new)

I just saw a pair from France stuck at Luohu today, waiting for their deportation.

All other nationalities are fine and get the 5-day or full visa at Luohu border (China side).

One important update:

...All other nationalities are fine and get the 5-day or full visa at Luohu border (China side).

Have they released the requirement to show HKID? (this is a complete news to me, btw - was it part of the 'Olympic visa hassle' saga?)

Have they released the requirement to show HKID? (this is a complete news to me, btw - was it part of the 'Olympic visa hassle' saga?)

From my understanding you do not need HK ID card to get the SZ visa. I will check that when I cross there next time in a few days.

I went to Luohu a few days ago but before leaving Hong Kong enquired whether it was still possible to get a visa on arrival in Shenzhen. Staff on duty on the Hong Kong side of the border didn't seem to have any idea as to what I was talking about and said that if I didn't have a visa, I could try crossing, but they wouldn't recommend it. I'm a Dutch citizen. I'm curious to see how you'll fare, flameproof.

Ha-ha seems typical of the border guards )))) No clue whatsoever what's happening on the other side.

There is a list somewhere of the countries that can get visa on arrival, but you'll only find out when you cross over.

HK Chinese people use Home Return Permit to enter China, to them the visa question is not relevant, so they are not good for asking...

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Luohu a few days ago but before leaving Hong Kong enquired whether it was still possible to get a visa on arrival in Shenzhen. Staff on duty on the Hong Kong side of the border didn't seem to have any idea as to what I was talking about and said that if I didn't have a visa, I could try crossing, but they wouldn't recommend it. I'm a Dutch citizen. I'm curious to see how you'll fare, flameproof.

Well, the border people simply don't know, which is in no way surprising to me. If you would ask the CTS on the HK side, just before you leave the MTR gate they will tell you of course it's impossible and would love to sell you a visa.

Fact is, with a NL passport you can buy a 5-day visa upon arrival and do not need a HK-ID.

I cross the border in Luohu/Lowu 1-2 times a week and will have a peek upstairs from time to time.

PS: Those with better Chinese reading skills may search for "深圳特区旅游签证"

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • New Members

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone can answer this question for me. If I enter SZ on a 5 day Visa through Shekou port, can I leave SZ through Luohu? I read from somewhere (can't remember where!) that you have to leave SZ at the same border crossing that you entered if you are using the 5 day visa. Is this true? If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated. Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi Flameproof

I am wondering if you enter Shenzhen on a 5 day special economic zone visa , can you then fly out of Shenzhen airport?? I will be travelling to HK in Feb 2011 and plan to travel into Shenzhen and fly out of Shenzhen to Malaysia. Flights are already booked. Will I be able to use the five day visa or will I need to get a visa before I leave home(Australia). Please advise!! Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hi all,

thanks for posting this information on this forum and on the gohongkong.about.com site. It turned out to be very useful for my China trip a few weeks ago.

I applied for a Shenzhen visa two weeks ago, on the Lo Wu/Luohu bording crossing. Worked like a charm! I had to pay 160 RMB with my NL passport. Getting the visa took about 10 minutes.

At the Hong Kong airport I got the advise to take the Airbus A43 to Sheng Shui station, which i did. Very convient to get to the border.

Altough finding the taxi stand at Luohu turned out to be a bit troublesome. Can someone post directions to the metro and/or taxi stand?

thanks!