Chinese-Forums

Plz, translate this name!

jimaras

You can't really translate English names to Chinese names. Have a read of this and this to get an idea of why.

The above characters approximate the pronunciation of Hermione (He mai er ni), but definitely do not mean Hermione.

The names Lu mentioned, don't mean "Hermione" either, they were just the ones used by the Harry Potter character in the Chinese versions of the Harry Potter books on mainland China and Taiwan.

Think of it like this:

"Her, me, oh, knee"

The pronunciation is "Hermione", but there is no meaning -- the name "Hermione" has nothing to do with me, or with her, or with my knee. This is exactly like the automatically generated name you posted, which means "awe-inspiring, wheat, thus, nun", but kind of roughly almost sounds like "Hermione".

When you "translate" names into Chinese, this is what you deal with -- you have to approximate the sound by using similar-sounding words with completely different meanings.

The Chinese translators have used a different transliteration for the character's name, and it will almost certainly be better to use one of those.

so...

Finally, which are the letters that are most close to word Hermione ???

Plz, let me know because i want to use this name (Hermione or Ερμιόνη) for a tattoo i want to make on my body ;), so as you see, it is very special and especial the reason i want to know exactly the chinese letters of this name!

P.s: I am Greek, and tha greek name i want to use (for tattoo) is Ερμιόνη .

Hermione is the english version of Ερμιόνη (Hermione-English = Ερμιόνη-Greek).

There is no one Chinese translation for the word Hermione (have another read of the threads I linked to above). All that exists are transliterations like in the image you provided from chinese-names.org. It sounds like He mai er ni, but has the nonsense meaning of "awe-inspiring, wheat, thus, nun". Any other combination of characters that sound like Hermione will also have similar nonsense meanings.

If this name is special to you, then I would avoid getting it tattooed in Chinese.

You ought to be very careful or you might get some tattoo guy that looks for something that sounds close and looks up a similar sounding word and gets the translation.

Then he comes back with: 激素 jīsù :mrgreen:

Plz, let me know because i want to use this name (Hermione or Ερμιόνη) for a tattoo i want to make on my body ;), so as you see, it is very special and especial the reason i want to know exactly the chinese letters of this name!

It's impossible to write "Ερμιόνη" using Chinese characters.

It's possible to fumble together some combination of words which sound roughly like Ερμιόνη if a Mandarin speaker were to read those words out-loud.

If you really consider this name special and important, you shouldn't tattoo Chinese characters on yourself because, although they will LOOK pretty, they will have a silly meaning and they will sound silly. This is almost always true, and especially true in this case. Either tattoo it in Greek characters, which would perfectly capture both the meaning and the sound of the name, or get some cool Chinese character which expresses some concept dear to you.

Alternatively, you can tattoo the transliteration you got from the internet (he mai er ni), but be aware that it will look silly to anyone who can actually read Chinese characters (like a Chinese, Korean or Japanese person). It will look pretty, but it will not be special, and definitely won't be exact, because such a thing is impossible.