Chinese-Forums

Popular classics/Now that's what I call music/(Chinese)

geraldc

What are the most famous Chinese songs of let's say the last 50 years? i.e. the kind of songs that if you started singing one while walking home drunk with friends, everybody would know the song, and would be able to sing along as well? i.e. the Chinese equivalents to Sinatra's My way, Abba's Waterloo, Elvis' Heartbreak hotel, Bob Dylan's Blowing in the wind, Judy Garland's over the rainbow etc.

In other words what songs will I would I hear most in a karaoke bar? (with the exception of modern pop songs from the last couple of years)

Also if anybody can think of any songs that always get sung at special occasions please list them too, e.g Chinese equivalents to auld lang syne at New Years, and Swing Low Sweet Chariot at English Rugby matches.

They may not know all of the lyrics, but your drunk Chinese friends will be impressed if you can belt out any of these all time greatest hits:

船歌

不了情

康定情歌

小城故事

黄土高坡

明天会更好

血染的风采

大约在冬季

河日君再来

大阪城的姑娘

我一见你就笑

月亮代表我的心

There's plenty more, but I'll add them later in additional posts as I recover.

Tian mi mi by Deng Lijun (Teresa Teng) is another one that everyone in China knows. It's a bit girly though, and i couldn't imagine a group of English drunkards singing it on the way home from the pub.

But it is a karaoke classic - probably the equialent of It's Not Unusual or I Will Survive.

I sang 甜蜜蜜 with Teresa Teng in Hong Kong at a private party in 1994.

She invited me on stage to sing 月亮代表我的心 and then 甜蜜蜜 was the encore. I also performed 甜蜜蜜 on Taipei television with a pretty Taiwan singer as special guest during a tribute show after Teresa Teng died.

I own the distinction of being the only foreigner to sing in Mandarin with Teresa Teng; my sole claim to fame.

last 50 years?

我们是共产主义接班人

东方红

学习雷锋

没有共产党就没有新中国

社会主义好

国歌

EVERYONE knows these songs in China.

Others --

我的祖国

小儿朗

我在马路边捡到一分钱