Chinese-Forums

Lost in translation!

milkbone

About 8 years ago I got this tattoo.I found a dictonary that had translations in it and loved this one. My name is andrew which christian meaning is strong. well i printed out 6 pages of char for strong. went through and crossed out ones i didn't like every few weeks for a month i came up with this as my favorite. there are so many different meanings for strong that i think this is the one that means 'strong like iron". But for some reason i have second guessed myself and i don't know. Any help would be helpful i can't find online dictonary to help me

1906_thumb.attach

IMO the upper half of the tattoo is ok but the lower right of the lower half is a bit distorted. It is supposed to look like a "v". But on the whole the tattoo is ok.

As to the word, according to my search on the internet, it is a variant of a rare character.

This is what is on your arm -

002.jpg

This is the original rare character (minute difference which may be hard to recognise for untrained eyes) -

c00763.jpg

On-line dictionary entry (this is a Taiwan dictionary) -> http://140.111.1.40/yitic/frc/frc00763.htm The word means "健", i.e. physically strong.

The word is rare to me but maybe some learned members would point out that the word is not that rare.