Chinese-Forums

Yunnan Daxue vs Yunnan Shifan Daxue

nicefreak

I know there are a couple of posts on this forum, but all are rather outdated and none really helps me.

I have to decide pretty soon, which university in China to attend to study Chinese. I am advanced intermediate level learner and have been in touch with both universities every now and then. Both seem alright, Yunnan Shifan Daxue seems to have a lot more foreigners/westerners, though.

I would really appreciate it, if anybody out there could comment on the quality of teaching at either of those unis.

If you have any other comments about those universities, please let me know!!

Thank you!!

As an advanced learner I had a better experience at Kunming College of Easter Languages where I went from 2006-2007 than at YNNU, and hear that the class sizes at YNU are pretty large. My advanced class at KM College was very small, had a great teacher, and we all had plenty of chances to practice our reading and spoken Chinese. Here's the website if you'd like to check it out. http://en.elcec.com/newEbiz1/EbizPortalFG/portal/html/index.html

YNNU was okay but we changed teachers mid-semester. Also I had to do a lot of textbook drills and didn't get to practice conversation much. This was several years ago, though, and that's pretty typical for a beginning class. Probably no matter what school you're at the teacher is the most important thing. The general consensus among my friends and I is that the teachers or at least teaching style has been a little better at Kunming College, but it probably depends on who you talk to. The teacher of the advanced class at the main campus is excellent, but he's definitely retirement age, so no guarantee you'll get him. In the past it's been pretty easy to switch classes and teachers at Kunming College to find the one that suits you best. YNNU is certainly a decent enough school, though, don't get me wrong, but Kunming College has been my best experience so far.

I'd also be interested to know what people think about YNNU. I went to visit and the campus doesnt seem that great but the staff were very friendly! Also, if people can give more information about accomodation (on and off campus) that would be great!

• 2 months later...

I am currently studying at Yunnan Daxue. I am doing 高级. I do not know what level you are interested in. 初级,中级 seem to be OK.

Previously I studied one year at Beijing Language and Culture University and I have to say, if your aim is to learn perfect Chinese, well, go there, teachers are in general more competent, equipment is very good, the structure of classes covers everything you could ask for. Here everything is slower, worse organised and somewhat less efficient. There are some problems with equipment - e.g. the College for International Students seemingly only owns two CD players and if one is broken or borrowed, well, teacher has to read texts himself during 听力 lesson. HSK preparation course should have started 2 weeks ago and yesterday we still were not able to do the listening, because teacher still did not have the tapes. As for campus, it is beautiful, but your classroom will be outside the campus. Go and find Yunda Binguan (Yunda Hotel, you cannot miss the banner of the College on the wall). Some classrooms are in the hotel, some are located behind the hotel (as mine is, it is as small as a hotel room and equipment remembers Mao Zedong:). There are maybe 15 people in my class, that is not much. But maybe lower levels are more crowded.

As for accomodation, Kunming is cheap if you want to rent an apartment. Mostly they offer 3-room flats, so you should find some friends to share.

I am a full scholarship student, so the University has to provide me accomodation. Two weeks ago they finished "reconstruction" of dormitories. The poorest dorms for foreign students I have ever seen, and friends who studied at many other universities in PRC find that place terrible as well. But university does not have resources to do it better. Anyway, as some scholarship students have decided to rent apartments for their own money than to stay there, there could be some place for you, if you are interested.

What could please you in here could be free HSK preparation courses, free lessons of calligraphy, performance, minority music etc.

I visited the campus of Yunnan Shifan Daxue and their teaching building appears to be pretty well equipped. At least it looks like something from this century:)

Thank you so much!!

I also plan to attend the 高级 level, but my Chinese is a bit rusty...

I guess I'll see you in November (I plan to start studying) around mid November.

Could you maybe give some numbers? How many Chinese language students are there all in all? How many westerners? How many Germans? How many of those in the 高级 level?

I've applied for both universities now, Yunnan Daxue and Yunnan Shifan Daxue. If I get a visa without the 202 from, which I still did not receive, I plan to attend Yunnan Daxue. The staff seemed more responsive to my numerous emails...

I look forward to seeing you soon!!

Best, Martin

well, so many questions...

I am sure I have heard some German at school, at least two guys from your country. as for the whole number of students, it is hard to make an estimamation. no more than 200, I guess... there is one class in 高级上 (my level, maybe 15 people) and the same should hold true for 高级下. rusty chinese is no problem, there are some people not really fluent.

many people form Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, some from USA, Sweden, Slovakia:), Korea, Japan, France...

as for textbooks, we use 汉语教程高级

发展汉语口语高级

发展汉语写作高级

新闻听力9 (I am not sure about the name of the book, something like 10 steps to master Chinese)

all from Beijing Language and Culture University

good news is, that all classes are in the morning (8:30-12:00), so you have all afternoon for yourself.

when are you going to come?

Katarina, many thanks for the information!

I plan to start studying November 17. But that still depends, if I can solve the visa question...

The university said it is fine for me to start anytime I want to.

I'll probably will start in 中级 and plan to start 高级 next semester. This way I can adapt slowly to the language again

Thanks for the book info. I think I did use the same ones in 大连 as well. But that was three years ago...

I was in Slovakia last month (well, driving through, to be precise)...

See you soon,

kind regards,

Martin

• 3 months later...

Hi Katarina

You seem quite knowledgable about study in Kunming so I was hoping you might be able to help.

I'm thinking moving there from Sydney, Australia to study Mandarin for a year. I may have left it a little late but would you know if Yunnan Daxue or Yunnan Shifan Daxue accept last minute enrolments (i.e. if I were to register the week before registrations and attended registration).

My preference would be Yunnan Shifan Daxue, starting Spring 2009.

Many thanks.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Pat,

I am studying at Yunnan Daxue right now. I came late last semester and only attended the last 7 weeks. Handling my case they were really flexible, so I don't think there should be any problem with registering late.

However, I think it will proof to be impossible to get a student visa in time before entering China. Thus, I'd advise you to register, come here with a tourist visa (get one for a month or so, if it is too short, you can encounter difficulties here) and have your visa changed to a residence permit once you are here. I did the same thing and it worked out fine.

Best, Martin

Many thanks for the quick reply Martin. Very helpful. Good to know that they're able to take last minute enrolments.

A few more questions I have are:

1) Are you living on campus? I'm thinking of renting a furnished apartment off-campus. Do you know if this is hard if I don't speak Mandarin?

2) Private tutors - How much per hour do they generally charge? Understand that private tutors not through the uni will be cheaper and rates can be negotiated.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Pat,

I'd definitely advise you to look for an apartment off campus. There are plenty of apartment buildings in walking distance to both universities. Depending on your budget and the standard you are looking for you'll probably end up paying 600 to 2000 RMB a month for a furnished apartment. Look on www.gokunming.com there are always people offering flats or looking for roommates. If you don't find anything there, there are agencies all over the place who are just happy to show you around. You usually pay a month rent for your service.

I don't know about those tutors. Prices probably vary, depending on education and experience of your tutor. Just post on gokunming.com and there should be lots of Chinese people answering.

I hope I was able to help,

Best,

Martin

Hi, I'm trying to get in touch with Yunnan Shifan Daxue to get a bit more info about the mandarin courses, semester start dates, cost, etc.

Have sent emails and tried calling a heap of times to +86-871-5516251 but all to no avail.

Does anyone know of a different contact number and person to try or is the university currently still on break? If so, when do they come back?

Many thanks.

Cheers

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

The new term begins on March 2nd, so I can imagine that they'll be coming back this week from spring festival. I was recently accepted to study there for the fall term (9-1-2009 until 1-15-2010). You can find all of the information you're looking for, along with the email addresses, at this website:

http://www.admissions.cn/ynnu/index.htm

It has information about the courses, tuition, etc.

As I said, the fall term begins on September 1st, though they require you to register at the university between August 24th and August 31st, and ends on January 15th, 2010.

Frank.

Hey Wei, I've been in Kunming for about a week. Not too bad, noticed the same thing about the weather and finally caved in and brought a heater yesterday for the cold mornings. Started my mandarin studies this week, not too bad so far. Pace is pretty quick. Had some pretty bad headaches most of this week as I was adapting to the altitude. Feel a lot better now though. Will be heading to The Hump Bar to check it out tomorrow night if you're interested. Probably there from 7-8. Going there with a few other aussies.

Cheers

Patrick

you got headaches from the difference in altitude? thats not too good. i didnt get anything like that, but got a cold in the first few days.

did you already have some aussie friends here? i havent started uni yet, but i am yet to meet another aussie actually. i'm actually heading out tonight with a chinese friend, but i might head down there if i'm free later on.

hows the school going anyway?