Chinese-Forums

how to say visa credit card in chinese

md1101

The verb, which literally mans "to swipe a card", but also just means "to use a credit card" is 刷卡 (shua1ka3). Wenlin's example sentence is "请问这个商店刷卡吗 ?" In English, "Excuse me, does this shop take credit cards?" But you should also be able to simply ask, when paying for the bill, "可以刷卡吗?"

but also just means "to use a credit card"
This is perhaps slightly inaccurate nowadays. With the growing prevalence (at least in bigger cities) of EFTPOS terminals, 刷卡 means swiping any kind of card (as you pointed out in your post), and, at least in my experience, does not specifically indicate credit cards.

Case in point, at my local supermarket, if I asked 这里可以刷卡吗 then they would say yes, however I wouldn't be able to use my visa credit card, only my local Chinese bankcard, or as I found out the other day, my 一卡通 public transport pass.

If I am trying to find out if they accept my US credit card (note I don't have Visa i have mastercard) I ask if they 支持国际信用卡 and that usually answers my question. Of course sometimes they just flat out don't know...

I agree with you on what seems better but in stores many times there signs say 支持联行卡购物 or something similar and I have yet to see a sign that says 接受 so it is a "correct" usage even though it does sound funny.

Which I also just did a google search and 接受 was used over a million times and 支持 used just over 30,000 times. Just funny I've never seen it written in the stores here :roll:

muyongshi: I've personally only used to hearing 接受 and 收 myself here in Singapore. 支持 might be a more formal term than 接受 or 收, hence it being used on signs and less in speech. (Is 使用 also usable, skylee?)

Except in this case, "接受" is far more common on Google as well, as you pointed out, which indicates it's much more likely to be the actual commonly-used word on the mainland as well.

Also, what are the very very big differences that've been previously uncovered? Things like 一粒 vs 一个? 公车 vs 巴士?

From my point of view, 支持 literally means 'support'. In the context of credit card use, while you say the xxx card is accepted in English, it would be (系统)支持xxx卡 in Chinese. For instance, 支持联行卡购物 rather means the 联行卡 is supported by the system, than it is accepted by the merchant. Does it make sense?