Chinese-Forums

Class size at Kunming University

ilprincipe

Hi

I am planning to go to Kunming for a semester at either of the two Universities.

If some one has done it before, how large are the classes? maybe it varies, but on average, what should I expect?

also, do you think this is the best choice for learning, or does one end up meeting lots of ex-pats?

I have taken private classes before, I know that's the best way, but more $$$. The reason why I am thinking of universities is:

get to go around the campus and maybe meet chinese students.

possibility to take other electives

easier to get visa than with private schools as docomentation is getting tighter

Lastly, I have looked at programmes 'organised' by companies (chinastudyabroad, worldlink education). Does anyone know why they charge thousands of dollars for a semesters and accomodation (my estimates for direct enrolmnet is $700/800 for tuition and $1,000 for 3/4 months 1/2 bedroom apartmment...I am being too optimistic?)..but still a lot less

thanks

About the universities in Kunming, I don't know much. But about those companies who charge you a lot of money for studying in China, well.. that's a different story. I have investigated almost all of them and I found them way to expensive. You should realise that you are following the same program as a student who subscribed him/her self to the university. Only, they pay a lot less. Therefore I've been looking for a cheap program, couldn't really find one.. except for one company. China Education Center, they're a nonprofit organisation who helps you look for a good university and arranges everything for you. Such as accomodation, and subsribing to the university. And that only for 300dollars. I'm from europe, and we have the EURO. So that's really cheap for me, 180euro's.. that's not much. And didn't have to do sh*t. They answer all my questions, really have knowledge about universities and China and stuff and they reply very fast to your emails.

I'd really recommend them, just check their website: http://www.chinaeducenter.com/en/

P.s. sorry about my English, but I'm not from an English speaking country.

• 10 months later...

Hi

I am studying at Beijing capital normal university (its not as crap as the name suggests hehe) and want to get out of the pollution and down to yunnan for september.

Can you tell me about your experience at kunming uni, or why you didn't go there? is it wall to wall laowai's, are the classes parrot style etc?

:-)

Hello,

at the end I didn't go to Kunming, so I can't really tell you about the class..sorry.

I just found the city a little bit not too interesting during the few days I was there..but it may just be the wrong impression. It is in Yunnan, but does seem to have anything to do with what I associate with the region...On the other hand, I visited Dali University, the location is just spectacular, overlooking the lake, with very small class size (3-4 students), but then you have to live in Dali, old city.

good luck