Chinese-Forums

Radicals

RichardVV

Thanks, I was asking what they call those 部首 in english. like( 丨) is called A,(亅)is called B, (丿)is called C. I was asking what the A, B, C and what all the rest are called in english, though do people use racidals in learning ?

p.s. How do peple call the chinese characters on the keyboard apart from their respective Letter?

They don't really have English names. You could of course translate them, like 三点水 "three drops of water" or 单人旁 "single person lateral radical", but it sounds weird in English.

I'm not too smart but would agree with the previous post inasmuch as there do not seem to be universal formal standards for English names of radicals (and this goes doubly for racidals); however, see sixth column of table at address below for one non-formal non-standard non-universal nomenclature for Chinese radicals in English. But just understand, the names may be somewhat less useful in external communications than the meaning and way of writing the radical.

http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/radicals.php

约翰好

There are no official English names for the radical. For example some people might call 寸 "thumb" while others call it "small." Some might also differentiate where others do not: 水 and 氵might both be called "water" by some, while others call 氵 "three-drop water."

Most dictionaries recognize 214 radicals.

Imron placed a good link. Maybe we can edit the title so it show up in a search? An excellent book is called "Learning the Characters"?? by Sinolingua that goes through the radicals. Don't know exact name since I loaned it out to a student but I think that is it.

Actually, from an older post in a different thread, I just came across this link that I posted. It's even better than the one above, and has animations and also sound for each radicals.

@self-taught-mba, currently, this thread is the top result when seaching for "radical" or "radicals" using the quick search function of the forums.

Well if you're just looking for it in a search, I found that page just by doing a google search for 偏旁名称

The people that need this most certainly won't be searching that way!

this thread is the top result when seaching for "radical" or "radicals" using the quick search function of the forums.

Yes, but I (guess others?) often search by title to try to nail down something specific on a topic. Many searches just have too many results otherwise. The spelling fix fixes it. Doing a title search for radicals or radical gets you threads that are almost all directly related and straight to the point. Quick search gets you everything. Example: "Tourist advice Shanghai & Beijing " Think new tagging will help as the board gets larger and larger.

Anyway good find and just wanted others to find it easily. Thanks for linking to the previous thread which I second is excellent resource.

If you're a regular poster, PM me for list in tabbed format with explanation that we use. (but not for awhile please - getting updated and too busy). Or just remind me in a month or so.