Chinese-Forums

Name help please?

The Elf Piper

As a name for a guy, how is Cheng Liang? Is there anything horrible there?

Also, supposing the guy was half Chinese, half Japanese and had an identical twin brother with a Japanese name. Is Cheng Keigo an appropriate choice??

Sorry if this seems very stupid. :oops:

It really depends on what characters you choose.

"Cheng Liang" is simply a transliteration of the name. The real name (and its meaning) is in the characters and this transliteration could correspond to a number of characters, some of them better than others.

I'm not very far along in Mandarin and I only know a couple of dozen characters, but I went and looked these up and my guess is:

成亮 Could be something like Resounding Success?

乘涼 Cool Ride????

I only found this 梁 as Roof Beam. :-?

Cheng Liang sounds fine to me.

But. If this guy has a Japanese half brother, this half brother might pronounce the character for the surname Cheng in Japanese, in which case he wouldn't be Cheng Keigo but [something else] Keigo, and in transliteration usually Keigo [surname].

If this half brother would interact with Chinese, his surname would once again be pronouced Cheng but the characters for his given name Keigo would be pronounced according to Chinese pronounciation.

I have a hunch this is for a story or a book you're writing. It'll help if you settle on characters for both names.

It's sort of a story, yes.

They do have to be identical twins rather than half brothers though, since they're...well...identical. One will be representing China in this fictional world and one will be representing Japan. So we figured we'd go with a Takeshi Kaneshiro kind of heritage....(ooh, imagine him as twins). I suppose they could both have Chinese names really.