Chinese-Forums

Changing a tourist visa to a student visa / residence permit

kaili22

I have a visa issue that I don't know how to resolve. I currently have an L visa that is good for one year, multiple entry, with max stay in China 60 days. BUT, my plans have changed and I'm going to stay in China for a whole year (under a CSC scholarship, but i haven't gotten my school acceptance letter yet...) so the L visa won't work. I'm in the US now, but leaving for China in a few weeks. Does anyone know how I can get a different type of visa? Can change visas while I'm in Beijing, or do I have to be in the US? Since I already have a valid L visa... can I apply for another visa?? If anyone can help answer my questions or direct me to a website that can i'd be really greatful! Thanks!

When i went last year, i started with a 60-day visa, but then i went to a government office there and did an application for a residence permit because i was studying until the end of the year. i had to get a thing signed by my teacher at the school saying that i was registered there. Once everything got stamped and approved, then my 60-day visa was canceled and i got a residence permit that expired at the end of my study term (almost a year). I also had permission for multiple entries, so i could fly back to canada for vacation and then come back to china without starting over again.

• 10 months later...

I am Vietnamese and I will get a 30 days visa coming to China. Will the university help me to obtain the residential permit if I apply to Chinese language course after I arrive in China?

I heard it's hard of Vietnamese to extend visa in China, is it true?

When I went to apply for a residence permit I was also in the same situation. The embassy messed up and gave me a 90 day tourist visa instead of a student visa. I was still able to get it resolved while I was in China, but it was a headache for the program manager. They don't normally do this, but he was able to push it through somehow.

If you can't get this done you can always go to Hong Kong after your 60 day stay and apply for a student visa from there. That was the alternative I was given if I couldn't get the student visa/residence permit.

Overall it's a real hassle, but go ahead and tell the International student office at your school about your predicament and they should be able to get a head start with helping you.

Good luck

The university cannot actually issue you a new visa, obviously. What they can do is help you apply for a new visa or residence permit, leveraging their relationship with the local immigration office / public security bureau. It's in their interest for you to get a proper visa, since you will be paying them tuition fees.

Usually, suitable visas are routinely issued for bonafide students. However, for whatever reason, the local government bureaucracy might reject your application. In any case, the university's foreign students' office will know the immigration rules of the day, so your best bet is to ask them directly for advice.