Chinese-Forums

Kunming Bus Explosions

Luobot

The West seems to have gone China mad. Living in Germany and not speaking German, I very rarely watch TV, but when I do I can cope with around 5 minutes each of CNN and BBC World. CNN especially appears to go "oh lookie! Pollution in Beijing! The athletes will all die!" every 60 minutes.

Probably no different than CCTV-9 devoting every minute to the Olympics, Tibet, or how the West is ruining the world (at least this was the coverage in April).

The Eastern Turkistan Islamic Movement is a Uighur separatist group.

more here?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=9735

China has not only been targeted for its human rights violations, a China based Islamic terrorist organization has announced that it is planning to "create havoc" at the outset of the Olympics.

According to media reports, the Turkestan Islamic Party (TIP) has claimed responsibility for several pre-Olympic terror attacks including the July 21 bombing of three buses in Kunming, capital of Yunnan , which killed two and left 13 injured, as well as a similar Shanghai bus bombing in May. The TIP also claimed responsibility for an attack in Wenzhou on July 17 using an explosives-laden tractor and the bombing of a Guangzhou plastics factory on July 17 (Sydney Morning Herald, 27 July 2008).

The leader of the Turkestan Islamic Party (TIP) Commander Seyfullah in a mysterious video broadcast warned both athletes and spectators that it is planning to carry out simultaneous attacks in several highly populated urban areas, with a view to ultimately sabotaging the Olympic games:

"Through this blessed jihad in Yunnan this time, the Turkestan Islamic Party warns China one more time. Our aim is to target the most critical points related to the Olympics.

We will try to attack Chinese central cities severely using the tactics that have never been employed. We warn China and the international community for the last time that those spectators, athletes, particularly the Muslims, who are planning to attend the Olympics, please change your intention from going to China. Please do not stand together with the faithless people. The Turkistan Islamic Party volunteers will conduct violent military actions against individuals, departments, venues, and activities that are related to the Olympics in China." (Transcript of alleged Statement of Commander Seyfullah, released to the media by IntelCenter, Washington, 23 July 2008 http://www.intelcenter.com/)

16 killed at border

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_re_as/china_border_raid

China's official Xinhua News Agency says an attack on a border patrol station on the country's frontier with Central Asia has killed 16 police officers.

In Xinjiang -> 16 policemen killed in Xinjiang

Sixteen policemen have been killed in an attack in the restive Muslim region of Xinjiang. State media said two attackers drove up to a police station in a rubbish truck and threw two grenades, before moving in to attack the policemen with knives. The killings occurred following warnings from Beijing that Muslim militants would carry out attacks to coincide with the Olympics, which start on Friday. Xinhua news agency said both attackers were captured during the raid near the city of Kashgar. It said the attack happened as the policemen were jogging outside the compound. Fourteen of the victims died at the scene, and two others on the way to hospital. Another 16 policemen were injured. One of the attackers was injured in the leg. Xinjiang is home to the Muslim Uighur people. Uighur separatists have waged a campaign against Chinese rule for decades. Human rights groups say the mainland is suppressing the rights of Uighurs. Beijing has previously spoken of what it calls a terrorist threat from Muslim militants in Xinjiang. Last week, a senior army officer warned that Islamic separatists were the biggest danger to the Olympics.

Last week, a senior army officer warned that Islamic separatists were the biggest danger to the Olympics.

Islamic subversive activities are a threat, but I think that some of the attention directed at this terrorist element is being used to justify security measures that will have permanent effects beyond the Olympics. I would feel completely safe as an Olympic athlete given the current security measures in Beijing, which is justified for ensuring safety for the Games. However once the Olympics end, these security measures like street surveillance cameras could be used for 'domestic purposes'.

However once the Olympics end, these security measures like street surveillance cameras could be used for 'domestic purposes'.

That's a pretty darn good thing. They should install them in Guangzhou to help lower street crimes. Makes all the good citizens safer. Would I be worried that the security cams might be looking after my shoulders when I walk in the street, absolutely not.

The Uighur terrorists want to carve out a chunk from each of the countries surrounding Xinjiang to create a new Muslim state. They need to set a more realistic goal and not make enemies everywhere already... if they play nasty, they will just give the Chinese the green light to play nasty.

Edited by Quest

Would I be worried that the security cams might be looking after my shoulders when I walk in the street, absolutely not.

Your complete trust in the Chinese government, the people who run the security department, all the staff who operate the cameras, and those who look after the computers where the images are stored, is touching.

Your complete trust in the Chinese government, the people who run the security department, all the staff who operate the cameras, and those who look after the computers where the images are stored, is touching.

As a nobody, I don't see why the government would be interested in stalking me. If I were somebody, I don't see how I could evade the government's watch with or without the cams. When I walk in public, I expect to be seen. If you don't, I'd be suspicious of you.