Chinese-Forums

Other Chinese proficiency tests

my3rdlang

I know of at least one other.

The Taiwan version of the HSK is the TOP (Test of Proficiency) TEST.

http://www.sc-top.org.tw/

Naturally, it is accepted wherever traditional characters and other things Taiwanese are. That is to say, its' acceptance is, er, limited. :wink: That's not necessarily the same as saying that it isn't worthwhile or not accepted at all, just be aware the limits up front.

Hope that helps!

I was looking at some Taiwanese university websites discussing how to apply there as an international student, and they said that the Taiwanese universities (at least the ones that I looked at) would accept the HSK as evidence of Chinese proficiency. So unless you're studying in Taiwan (or are much more comfortable with traditional characters) it seems like there isn't much reason to take the TOP.

I remember reading that traditional characters are accepted at HSK, you can even get the material in traditional characters up to the intermediate level.

The advanced test is only available in simplified characters (you can still write traditional yourself).

Here's a source from UMich.

What about exams from other countries -

The UK has Chinese at GCSE and A-level - these are normally taken by school or college students, but it's possible to self-study and take the exams.

In the US, I know of the AP Chinese - there's a little bit of info here. There's also talk of a NY Regents Exam? - but can't see anything else about it.

In China a possible alternative - although it's nowhere near as broad - would be the 普通话测试, see Heifeng's experiences. Also the C Test which is meant to be a test of 'practical' Chinese, and the BCT, Business Chinese Test. Those are from the HSK people and aimed at foreign learners.

BTW, the TOP site has this graphic comparing the TOP and HSK that people might find interesting...

http://www.sc-top.org.tw/english/test4.php

Also, it might bear pointing out that which test to take depends on what you want to do-- what do you need it accepted for? If you simply want to prove that you're hot stuff with Chinese, then any test should do. If you wanted to enter the Chinese department of a US university, then any test should be fine. If you wanted to enter a Mainland university, then they will ask for the HSK. If you were a level 7 in the TOP test, though, I have to wonder if they would turn you away empty-handed.

Just curious, anybody know about people trying to use the TOP in Mainland universities?

1943_thumb.attach

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to remember for HSK is that you take the same test for multiple levels...like to get a rank of 4, you take the test for 3-8 and if you get something like 50% you get HSK4 or something. So, if you know a lot more Hanzi than they expect you to for your level, then you should be able to guess the meanings of a lot more words in the test and get a much better grade...so get workin on your flashcards ;)