Chinese-Forums

Tattoo'ing my surname

JohnNielsen

Hello everyone.

As many others i find it interesting having my surname tattooed onto my body.

The thing is, that my sur name is Zaulich, which is rather special and therefor i haven't been able to find a translation.

And yes, i KNOW that the chineese is more rather a sound-language, which makes this type of translations partly incorrect.

Hope someone can help me translating this

/John

To get technical, there isn't really a "translation" for your last name. One way of doing it is to transcribe your last name phonetically using Chinese characters, which would be something like 萨奥里西 (pronounced Sa'aolixi). Another way, which I think is better, is to give you a unique Chinese name based on your first and last name. In your case, something like 曹杰安 (Cao Jie'an) would work . 曹 is a surname, 杰 means outstanding, and 安 means peace.

Also, as always, be careful when choosing your tattoo parlor (preferably a Chinese one) and think things through before you go ahead with this.

As for myself, I'd find out what language your last name is, and then what it means in that language, then get a character(s) that means relatively the same idea. However, I also think its a terrible idea to get this sort of tattoo as well, because due to its nature, it is invariably nonsense, and you may as well just get some random characters anyways.

What Brandex said (except that Zaulich looks like a German name, which makes a tattoo in the original language not too interesting). It might be a better idea to choose some characteristics or hopes for the future (strength, happiness, wealth, etc) and have the Chinese translation of those tattooed.