Chinese-Forums

Age limit?

jamiemc60

First post!

Just wondering if there was an age limit for teachers outside of the major cities in China.

Second year at my university and planning on taking a year out either this September or next.

If I were to go over this September, I'd be 18, turning 19 in late Ocotober.

If I were to go over next, I'd be 19 turning 20 of course.

Would this be a rpblem for most employers?

I do look quite a bit older than 18, I'm taller and have an older face (lol), would this help my case at all?

Thx for any help!:lol:

If you want to work legally, yes it's a problem.

If you want to be an illegal immigrant working for some dodgy school which is not authorised to employ foreigners, then no problem.

In many schools (all over the world) they want people a little older for two reasons:

Maturity and life experience: to transfer knowledge that is not necessarily in the books.

To be sure the teacher doesn't "mingle" too much with the students (of the same age). I'm sure you can guess what I mean ... :mrgreen: ... This is not to say that older people never try to "mingle" ...

But that doesn't mean it isn't impossible to find a teaching job ... just don't expect the best of schools.

Yeah, it's completely understandable.

I was planning on applying for a post I spotted in one of the classifieds online. Freshmen are encouraged to apply which led me to assume that they'd be prepared to take someone younger.

It seems like a good enough job opportunity so I suppose I can only hit and hope.

Is there any advice in particular you'd give to a younger person giving it a go abroad?

For example, are employers more or less likely to try and deny me holidays or give me a lower wage than my colleagues of a slightly older age?

Employers in China (and not only in China) might try anything if they have the slightest assumption you're not informed at all. My biggest advice is: research, research, research. Do your homework and then ... do it again. Leave nothing to the unexpected, and then still: expect the unexpected. And be prepared for it.

The best advise I ever heard from someone is that China is easier to experience if you have some travel experience outside the US or Europe before. I personally have been all over Europe, the Middle-East and about half of Africa, so I tend to agree.

But I'm still surprised every day, positively and negatively.

I've only returned from Beijing in the past month.

I was over there learning Mandarin for a few weeks.

I've visited Japan and have experience teaching English as a foreign language as a volunteer.

I suppose things like this'll be advantageous in my quest for a decent job! :lol:

Sorry for all the questions!

You're helping me out here quite a bit, thanks alot!

I got a job at a New Oriental Elite school in Beijing when I was 19. They apparently liked my teaching demo, and I consistently got good teaching reviews for the time I was there.

Now, I got the job through a middle-man organization, and who knows what they told New Oriental. They lied about how long I'd be there (I found out from the school), so they may have lied about my age, but I did freely tell people, so it didn't seem to bother them. Yeah, you'll just have to research. I think it's really hard to make generalizations for this sort of thing.

To be legal and get a Z visa and all that, you need a bachelor degree plus 2 years working experience according to the official regs, which would put the minimum age around 24, depending how fast you got your degree. Usually the only thing schools ask for is bachelor degree, making the estimate around 22 years old. Of course as other people mentioned, you can just teach illegally for cash on your own visa.

Edited by BrandeX

Usually the only thing schools ask for is bachelor degree, making the estimate around 22 years old.
While that may be so, the school is not the one giving out visas. Recently, there's been rumors (backed by anecdotal evidence) that nobody below 25 will be granted a Z-visa anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

for the z visa you are supposed to have atleast a bachelors degree. but, i work in a uni in beijing, and each of the two or three years i have been here i have had colleagues (with bachelors degrees) in their early 20's. i think you could find work at a private school, but you would be working without the legality of the z visa.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I have been told by my University that the Guangdong government is to inforce an age limit of 65years for foreign teachers in this province.As I turn 65 this year I'm interested to know if anyone can confirm this to be accurate.Does anyone have any'official' information on this please.Regards Ivan

• 3 months later...

Hello guys,

Thanks again for all the help regarding this issue, I genuinely feel I've made the correct choice by leaving this trip for the year before I go.

I am now 19, turning 20 in late October and have completed my second year at university, meaning I am just one year away from gaining my degree, does anyone feel this would improve my chances of employment for this coming September or would it simply be disregarded?

I am travelling with a friend who is 21 and has his degree, I also have Chinese friends who are at university in Guangzhou. Will any of this be advantageous and if so, how could I make best use the situation while managing not to become a 'hanger on'?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Jamie

:lol: