Chinese-Forums

Advice- BLCU vs. Beijing Jiaotong

alexmatz

Hi Everyone,

I got into both Beijing Jiaotong and BLCU for the fall semester and now I have to choose one. I was hoping to hear people's thoughts, especially on Beijing Jiaotong U. as it's pretty hard to find any info anywhere.

I'm going to be doing Beginner Mandarin, and was kind of leaning towards Beijing Jiaotong U. They are cheaper, they have been a lot more responsive than BLCU over e-mail, closer to downtown, closer to Beijing Film Academy where my girlfriend will be studying and we might be living together. Basically are there any reasons for going to BLCU over Beijing Jiaotong other than BLCU is better known?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a vaguely similar position (not gotten in yet or anything), but I'll probably pick BJTU over the others in Beijing. I was won over simply because they have a website and 3D model of the campus that works on Firefox running under Linux. This is super-geeky, but there we are. :D The website also had a level of English higher than what I've seen at other University websites.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

I am now in the same position as Alexmatz was: I have to choose between BLCU and Jiaotong University. I tried to find the info in the discussion board but was not successful.

For me the class size, individual attention and the amount of English spoken and heard in class is most important.

Last year I studied intermediate Chinese in Renmin Daxue and the teacher spoke half of the time in English while the oral class had more than 20 students which meant no individual attention at all. I was extremely disappointed as I would prefer to hear Chinese only and small classes.

I read that those points are really bad at BLCU (big oral classes, lots of English) but I cannot find any information on Jiaotong Daxue.

Does anyone know about the teaching quality and methods at Jiaotong?

Hope someone can give me some insights :-) Thanks!