Chinese-Forums

How long have you been learning Chinese?

HeDiWen何迪文

I have taken 3 years of one-on-one classes for 1 hour per week and two semesters of a Chinese for Business course at the same Chinese language school. My teacher and I did our own two-week long immersion last summer traveling to Shanghai, Xi'an, Beijing, and Inner Mongolia.

I can read and write between 750 and 1,000 characters, although I have trouble recalling all of them for spoken conversations.

Since primary school. Then took an immersion program in junior high school where we studied half our subjects in Chinese with a Chinese teacher. Then took the subject again in senior. Then majored in Chinese and English in my Arts degree. Now nearly finished my Masters in Translation Studies. It's always been a part of my life. Nowadays I don't really think of myself as a "learner" but rather a sponge, I just keep absorbing things. But it's true you never stop learning, especially with a language like Chinese...

I've been studying it for two years at University level, but I feel like I haven't learnt as much as I wanted to. Going into my third year now, but I'm going to completely supplement it with much more self-study.

Went to Beijing in June/July 2009 on an international summer school. Really helped my listening!