Chinese-Forums

No F Visas?

Josu-

Hi,

We're three friends who are going to study at BLCU from September to November, but we have one problem with the visas.

The agency through we are doing all the paperwork (we dont have an embassy near) has told us that at this moment, China is only giving tourism visas, and that we'll have to go with a tourism visa, and once in Bejing, renew the visa.

anyone in the same situation?

Courses 6 months or less used to be done via an F visa. Courses longer than this were done with an X visa.

The fact they gave you an X for a short course (meaning you have to do the medical and stuff) proves that F visas are hard to come by at the moment.

I think the Chinese govt doesn't want loads of short term students turning up during the Olympics. They seem to think students tend to be just the type of people who are likely to wave flags and shout stuff outside of the officially designated demonstration areas (aka prisons. That's a joke, ish).

Long term students are thought to be more serious in their studying intentions so X visas are not affected.

This is all my take on the situation which is, basically, me trying to apply logic and order to a situation which is probably just a complete paranoid mess that no one really understands ;)

Quite possibly the agent just doesn't deal with a lot of non-tourist applications and isn't aware of what's available. If you have the documentation (JW202 / 201) then you might still get the F visa - hard to say at the moment, and you haven't said what papers you have from BLCU.

after reading the opening post, I just realized that my reply makes no sense.

what I meant was that I had no problem because I'm doing a degree and that the dude was having more problems getting his because he/she's doing a short term course..... but that adds nothing and doesn't help either.

I definitely agree with the other replies though, I think with the olympics hitting off, the last thing they want is a bunch of short-term students who might feel like protesting, and have little to lose since they have much less invested in their program than a degree student.

Anyway, good luck working it out.

I just applied for an F visa (doing a semester from Sept - Jan 09) at my consulate and was told I only qualified for a single entry visa for 3 months!

She said that the only place I could go and renew my visa was HK as it would be difficult to get a visa extension in China itself. Not really sure how this works.. I browsed around and found two conflicting information:

- You can no longer do visa extensions in HK.

- HK visa extensions takes at least 4 days.

Not sure which information is outdated. If the latter still stands, how on earth would I be able to change my visa and still attend class?

Anyone in a similar situation, or have any comments on this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

She said that the only place I could go and renew my visa was HK as it would be difficult to get a visa extension in China itself. Not really sure how this works.

You can get visa extensions in China still. A collogue of mine just got a 3 month extension yesterday.

What difference does it make if you have to renew your visa once in Beijing? So what? Are you lazy?

I just finished the summer program at BLCU (five-week program) and was given an X (student visa). I know I'll have another X visa for the Fall, as well.

The former visa regulations won't be implemented again until late October.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add in my two cents on my recent experience.

I came into China (Guangzhou) on a 30-day L visa earlier this month. I submitted my paperwork last week to the PSB and got my visa yesterday. It's a 6-month F visa with two entries.

I was originally told by Sun Yat Sen University (Zhongshan Daxue) that I'd have to run to Hong Kong to get my visa extension sorted. But they ended up giving me the stamps and paperwork I needed, and I was able to get my extension done here in Guangzhou.

I'm not sure how relevant that information is for those of you in Beijing, as the rules are a lot looser here down south. But I hope my experience helps in some way or another!

• 2 weeks later...