Chinese-Forums

Doubts about life in China

DaniC

Hi, i'm new in the forum.

I'm from Spain. I have some questions/doubts about China. Could you help me?

I will go to China, probably Shenzhen, in a few months, i will stay about 1-2 months, or more, i don't know yet.

I want to know if i can survive with my level of english xD. 100% is perfect english, i think i have 60%.

Any important recommendation before i travel to China?

How much it cost rent an apartment in that city? And, if i want to buy it? Is there any restriction for foreign people?

Right now, I haven't more questions, maybe later i will ask something else xD.

In advance, thanks to all.

Regards.

for a mere 1 - 2 months with no chinese in shenzhen.. .should be okay i would have thought. some of your activities may be limited but should be fine to get by. my dad lived there for 8 years without ever speaking a word of chinese. obviously you should try and pick a few vital phrases while you're there though. and 60% english should be alright. your post seemed good enough

You can survive anywhere without knowing the language. Of course, there will be limitations, but there's plenty of people in China who don't speak a word of the language and seem to be enjoying themselves.

As for buying apartments, try using the search feature to look at some older threads, for example this one.

Quoted from the thread linked to by gougou. For you, maybe this is the most important point:

Under the new rules, foreigners can only buy a property for non-investment purposes after having shown that they have resided on the mainland for at least a year. And I believe they have to have been here on a residence permit

How much it cost rent an apartment in that city? And, if i want to buy it? Is there any restriction for foreign people?

I think your English is probably good enough to survive but you're probably not ready to buy an apartment until you've been in China at least a year. I suggest renting, making some Chinese friends you can trust that can guide you along the way, and seeing what's available in terms of housing before you buy. I know foreigners who've gotten stuck in 1-3 year contracts with an apartment they decided later they didn't really like - I can't imagine buying one and then finding out later that there were a lot of better deals available. And I agree you should check out some other threads abt buying real estate in China. From what I understand from my Chinese teacher is that when you buy land or housing in China it isn't 100% yours, rather you buy a deed that entitles you to use it and the government retains some rights to it that they are able to exercise under certain conditions. Anyway, I recommend a lot more research before you buy anything. Renting is fine.

Really thanks to all of you people.

I will read more about buy a property, the not have the 100% of it makes me doubt it. Yes, i mean buy, because i consider a future investment, but i see there is no possibility for do that.

So, i will look to rent something. During the Olympics i think all is more expensive than "no-olympics days", but, after it, what price are usually? (Approximately, of course)

And... have internet in the apartment is hard to get? Or easy?

0. Have you ever been to China? If not have a peek first. Not everybody likes it.

1. Shenzhen (SZ) with no Chinese language skill is possible.

2. Apartment prices in SZ are not effected by the Olympics

3. Dealing with utilities (net, phone etc.) will be difficult with no Chinese

4. Get a girlfriend or close friend that can help you

5. I would NOT buy any property in China, the market looks shaky at best.

6. DO buy a property if you work for a company that pays for your housing and you can pocket that rent money.

Hi again!

Then, sign up an internet connection with a provider would be difficult for a non-chinese speaking? :S

flameproof, thanks, really useful.

0. It would be my first time, i will travel for business, looking for suppliers.

1. I say Shenzhen because i saw a lot of manufacturers there, but i could be Shangai too, maybe xD

2. I will go when the Olympics is over at all

3. I will try to communicate face-to-face, the internet is only for being connected to my "home" xD.

4. I'm on that xD.

5. After i see your comments, i think that too, i won't buy :(

6. I'm the company, little company of course.

Thank you again. I have a chinese friend here in Spain, it could probably help me to rent something there with their familiars help.

Regards

i will travel for business, looking for suppliers.

Stay in a hotel. You can ask for discounts if you stay longer then a few days. You are way more flexible then and breakfast is included.

If you need a Spanish interpreter expect to pay about rmb 600/day.

If you don't know Chinese and you are trying to set up things like the internet or find a place to live, do yourself a favor and hire an interpreter. I found mine at Freeiva.com but there are probably others.

They will ery easily save you whatever you pay them compared to what you will pay not knowing Chinese. They will negotiate prices for you and get pretty adamant when somebody is trying to take advantage of you :lol: Plus things like getting internet, etc. will be a breeze.

I hired mine for 4 days because I was setting up many things for long term, but everything was pretty much done the end of the 3rd day so we just did shopping on the 4th day.

I suggest that you can find a Chinese friend in a local univerisity, and this is easy because lots of Chinese student want to find a English-speaking partner, for practising English. So you can learn some simple Chinese phrases from your pal.

You want to invest in China, it's not easy, there will be limited for forein capital.

There are no real reasons not to doubt life in China.Just be assured that this country is not

like your country,as it is neither more dangerous,nor any safer than your own country.Yes

you can make a life here,even temporarily.Yet you must actually do your Give and Take a

little more frequently.Its by no means easy,as many Chinese whom do understand your English,may not admit to knowing any at all.They like games of a sort,so of course you m

ust learn to be careful of what you say,what you say to who,and most of your personal life

leave at home,before you enter China.Dont ask stupid questions and dont give stupid answ

ers.The Chinese are very good,at not understanding your words,and mostly not understand

ing your movements,of aggression,or passivness. Yes,you can survive in China,in Shenzhe

n,but I would be very careful.Its Open Season on Foreigners,so obey the laws,which you will learn,if you are arrested for breaking a law.. Good Luck:lol: