Chinese-Forums

Request for advice about a translation

subiej

Hi there-

We have a good friend who speaks Mandarin, and reads very little English, and would like to send her a card that says "We Miss You!"

I know nothing about Chinese (sorry!), so the only thing i could think of was to use an online translator. Here are the 2 translations I got,

using the iGoogle Translation gadget: 我們懷念你

and http://www.worldlingo.com/: 我们想念您

Can someone kindly let me know if one of these is even close? Without your help, i'm liable to send her a card that says "We blender dog" or something.

Thank you in advance!

Susan

The first one is in traditional script. I think unless the friend were dead it wouldn't be suitable.

The second one is in simplified script. I think it is more suitable. But the last character 您 (meaning "you") shows respect. If the friend is much older than you and you need to show your respect, or if he/she is a customer, then it is suitable. For a friend of equal status as you, it would be too formal.

I suggest you use the second one, but change the last character (meaning you) to 你. So it would be -

我们想念你 (simplified script, suitable if your friend is on mainland China)

我們想念你 (traditional script, suitable if your friend is in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau)

我們想念你(traditional) or 我们想念你(simplified)

懷念 is used when someone is dead - -||, and the difference between 您 and 你 is like what skylee has said.

and to abccinchina

CHT(traditional character)

妳 female 你 male

CHS(simplified character)

你 both male and female, no longer use 妳