Chinese-Forums

2 laptops through customs?

Xiao Kui

I've never had problems taking a laptop into China before, but this time I will be taking in 2 laptops and a pen display in my carry on luggage. They are all for my personal use (one is a tablet pc, and the pen display gives tablet capability to the other). I just wondered if anyone else has had experience bringing extra electronic devices into China and can tell me whether I can expect to get hassled about it or not. I would hate for any of these things to get confiscated because they're all pretty pricey and would be difficult to replace. BTW, I expect to enter China on a 1 year work visa, if this makes any difference. Thanks!!!

I've brought two laptops into China, no problem, on several occasions. For work purposes, it is not that unusual. People doing presentations often bring two laptops in case one fails. If you were bringing several laptops of the same type, without any of your software on it, then that might be a problem - since they might assume you intend to sell those laptops.

However, customs seems to look at other things a lot more closely, like books. Whenever I bring a significant number of books, I seem to get flagged for search. Given that my books are almost all architecture and/or Chinese study books, this is never a problem. I think they are looking for banned religious books being brought into the country.

I've also had my bags searched for bringing in large bags of rice (varieties I can't buy in China, like Indian Basmati Rice). In that case, I think it looks similar on the X-ray to large quantities of narcotics. Once they see it is just rice, they let me go on my way.

If you did get stopped they would not confiscate it as you worry. All they are looking for is that the tax is paid if due. You'd just sign a few forms and then show them again on exit to prove that you brought the laptop with you rather than bought in China and that you didn't sell the laptop while you were here. However, more than likely you'll just walk through the green channel without anyone saying a single thing.