Chinese-Forums

How can I make Chinese friends?

marcoppe

I think the sports suggestion is a good one. I'm decent at all games involving rackets (tennis, badminton etc) and it's very easy to find 'drop-in' events where you just show up and play with whoever is there (there are tens of these every day in any city in China, especially badminton). The level is usually average (though you'll come across the occasional 高手) so if you are any good you'll become popular quickly.

Sports have a nice equalizing effect. I remember years ago at one of these events actually overhearing one guy saying to another: "Go and play with that laowai." "But I don't speak English!" "You only have to hit the ball over the net, you ****." :lol:

A Life Of Study......

Maybe I should have not used the word "teach", or maybe you took that word a bit too seriously. I never even thought to teach English to a group of students or even teach English to a beginner. I simply thought to find a chatting partner for the main reason of finding friends. Going back to what you claim, I would agree with you, but here we are in the most populated country on Earth. Being in China you should know that millions of young kids are learning English, and with that high demand there is just so little supply of English speakers. Even my Chinese teacher, whose English is much worse than mine, actually TEACHES English to kids to make some more money. Now, I don't think a young Chinese guy, who has never had the chance to speak English with a foreigner, cares much if I say.."I heard by"..instead of "I heard from".

• 2 months later...

Make an effort... but not too much of an effort. Approach friendship with a chinese person just as you would some one of your own nationality. Be respectful, polite, generous and friendly.. smile and make an effort, but dont get desperate. Also, its always good to make chinese friends through other chinese friends.

Personally, I don't see why people who don't speak English as a first language should try to find jobs teaching English in China. In nearly all cases, they overrate their English ability. "I heard by several people that..." was just one of numerous errors. "I heard FROM several people that..."

Actually, the correct phrase is "I HAVE heard from several people that..."

Couldn't resist :mrgreen:

If you're Italian, you just don't have the ability to be an English language teacher...

It's not that easy. Being a native speaker doesn't make you a good teacher. Having learnt a language doesn't mean you don't have good control of the language.

It ultimately comes down to the person.

Anyway, he was referring to language exchange and such, not teaching at a university.

Join a club of something that interests you. A sport club, knitting club, whatever. Meet new people. Then take new people that you like to other activities outside of the club (in your case, I'd suggest movies. Or go for dinner/lunch before/after the club meets). Continue for a while, and if all goes well you'll become friends.

And all the while, remember that you're not the only person who wants to make friends: a lot of people would be happy to have you as a friend.

Good luck!