Chinese-Forums

《雍正皇帝》

davidj

I may still have the opportunity of buying several volumes from the series 《雍正皇帝》, at close to mainland prices, but I can't read quickly enough to judge how useful the book is going to be (my reading is at least HSK Basic level 2).

I wonder if anyone could comment on the series both from the point of view of a language learning resource (i.e. good use of language) and more generally as to whether the story is interesting (and to what sort of person) and doesn't involve too much prior historical knowledge. As a learning resource, this may have to last me several years.

Also, if I find that it doesn't help me, how easy would it be to find it a good home. I'm not sure that the normal charity collections for used books would know what to do with it.

as to whether the story is interesting (and to what sort of person) and doesn't involve too much prior historical knowledge.

The story is interesting (at least to me) but IMHO it is difficult for learners. AFAIK books are dirt cheap in China and I wouldn't care much if they were not interesting/unuseful.

Alternatively you could watch the TV series made basing on the books.

PS- if you could meet me at Heathrow or Gatwick airports on 13.9.2008 AM perhaps you could have my copy (traditional characters).