Chinese-Forums

Listening to Your Own Pronounciation

HerrPetersen

I just made a test and recorded some phrases of me speaking mandarin. I was really shocked. I did not think I would be sounding so "off" - while I guess I didnt really miss so much tones, it still felt very forced, also there is a very hearable German accent to be made out.

So here is something I feel would improve a lot: Is there a programm which records what you say and instantly plays it back to you with maybe a 3-4 seconds delay? This instant feedback (for instance while doing anki-reviews with sound in the question/answer field) would probably be very effective.

I once used a programm called "speedlingua" for French (which does pretty much just what I described above), which helped my pronounciation quiet a lot, but while it is available in Chinese it unfortunatly is only to be found in special language labs. (you cannot buy it as a private customer).

Thanks for reading.

I once tried out Rosetta stone, and it was nothing like you are describing: It just read me a phrase:"i ge ren" and I had to choose one of four pictures (on with a person in it). When the phrases got a little more complicated using different measuring words for different things, I then (I then was still complete newbie), gave up on it pretty fast. So my impression was that pronounciation-practice in Rosetta Stone Chinese was close to non-existant, but then again maybe I missed something?

The software itself is effective to a point, but then it gets frustrating to use given the fact that there are no translations provided...you have to use a fair amount of deductive logic to figure out what the photo is about. :roll: Anyway, the voice recognition software seems good...I don't use it much, but I am not sure it matters whether you are advanced or not since the pronunciation of initials/finals is always constant. :D

• 2 months later...

At the request of my 中文老师 I tried recording myself reading. It was alarming to me to hear how I paused at the wrong places, and how long my pauses are. I think it also made me more aware of my own poor pronunciation (my pronunciation of the pinyin 'x' gets lazy and sounds like 'sh'). Does anybody find that recording your voice provides any help?

• 4 weeks later...

Sinolingua publishes a PC program (and CD) called "Standard Chinese Phonetics" - it plays the correct pronunciation, then gives you the opportunity to record your voice, and hear it back. It also provides direction on where to put your tongue, lips etc to get the sounds right.

http://www.speakgoodchinese.org/ is also pretty good (and free) for analysing whether or not your tones are correct. Speaking of which, I have written up a method for how to remember the correct tones.

good luck - hope these suggestions help

he baoli