Chinese-Forums

What to do after acquiring Z-Visa for work in Shanghai

biophlame

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I'm pretty psyched I found this forum. I was recently offered a job in Shanghai and just received my Z-Visa today. I'll be leaving for Shanghai next Sunday. I did some searching online and discovered that getting my visa wasn't the hardest part.... I have to register myself when I get to China, and then apply for Residency, get a health exam, as well as an employment license..?

If anyone has been through this, can you list what I must do once I get to China. Since I just graduated from University of Delaware, I don't have health insurance at the moment, but would it be more wise to get it here in the States then to get it over there or does it not matter, b/c I'll have to get one there anyway?

Any help is appreciated. I understand this may be a widely talked topic but I ran a search for it and didn't come by too much.

Thanks!

A Z-visa is merely an entry visa which allows you to enter China to take up employment with a certain employer. It must be exchanged for a Residence Permit within 30 days of your arrival in China.

To obtain the residence permit you will probably need a health check. There is no "employment licence" as such. Your employer will have a licence to employ you (or you wouldn't have obtained the Z-visa.)

The employer should (normally) handle getting the residence permit for you.

Please refer to the following link for more details on Residence Permit application.

http://www.cn-visa.com/zvisa_application.asp

Z visa is only a temporary visa, which needs to be converted to Residence Permit within 30 days of arrivial.

After entering into China, you need to get an Alien Employment Permit and then 1-year Residenc Permit for work (work visa) in turn.

In Beijing, 2-year work experience is required if the applicant wants to get a work visa.

Your school should take care of all the paperwork for you and arrange the medical. They should do all the running around registering you with the local police, take you for your medical and any other such stuff. You'll need to give the school some documents such as your passport, photographs and a copy of your degree or similar certificate. Keep tabs on the school and make sure they know what to do and see that they do it in a timely manner.

He might not be working for a school. While it's usually the employer that does the running around, some will regard that as the employee's problem and leave you to get on with it. Although you need some documentation from the company some and possibly all of the process can be done by the employee alone.