Chinese-Forums

Heh, Chinese name opinion please?

cthies

As you can probably guess by the topic of this post, I'm looking for others' opinions on this name that I have created for myself.

This name has nothing to do with my english name, its transliteration, or meaning, nor woudl I like it to have anything to do with my english name, its transliteration, or meaning. I presume no knowledge on this topic aside from any little thing I have read online which may or may not be accurate in its context. Hence, that is why I am posting here.

By the way, this is for a male name.

Given name sound: fei1 ling2

I like the sound of this name. I have seen that fei1 is a sound used in male names, though I question whether the ling2 sounds feminine, as I have seen some female names use "ling".

Given name 漢字: I have made 2 combinations or somewhat.

飛靈(飞灵) and 霏泠

1) I have seen 泠 is a surname so does that make it unavailable for given names?

2) Does 飛靈 seem "to be putting me in high-light" type of thing? (I don't know the word for this.)

3) Is 霏泠 meaning weird? I personally like 霏 hanzi.

4) Or, does fei1ling2 as a whole sound weird?

I have not thought of a surname. Based on sound, I think something in 上聲 would sound nice.

The reason for this whole name-thing is because I'm in chinese class and I like to have other-language names.

Sorry for long post and for those who read and reply, thank you in advance^^

飛靈 reminds me of ghosts. For a guy, 飛 and 斐 are better than 菲 and 霏.

An old classmate of mine told me that her name was originally 巧靈. But because the name was too good, her parents had it changed to a more common name 巧玲. Many parents want their children to have an ordinary name/live an ordinary life.

How about 飞凌? (flying/soaring). I think a good name should be easy to remember and use commonly used Chinese characters only.

David

Edited by imron
signatures belong in signatures (see user settings) not at the end of posts.