Chinese-Forums

Any update on six month visas from Hong Kong?

Fergus_1

6 Month visas be issued again, esp from Hong Kong? I hear after paralympics..., I hear Oct 17th...I hear nobody knows when really...

Also, criminal records background check I read is now being required in order for work visas to be issued for teacher. Is this so? It's mind boggling what seems needed to study or work in China..will not board a train to beijing with a 1 month visa..anyone know what the PRC govt is going to do in the next 6 week or what official policy is?

Edited by roddy
title

I fail to see what is so "mindboggling".

Many countries, including the UK, require police checks for teachers. Not that I've heard China has introduced it. Seems like a good idea, though.

It is also nearly always a lot, lot easier for someone from the UK to get a visa for China than vice versa.

As to what the PRC government will do in the next few weeks, I doubt they know themselves.

..will not board a train to beijing with a 1 month visa..

Sorry, don't understand.

Best bet is to get in touch with a few agencies and see what they say. Don't know if they'll have any information, but if anyone does it's likely to be them. Always found Japan Travel to respond to queries quickly.

If you are looking at working as a teacher at a legitimate school though, you should just need to get all the documentation from them and then apply directly for your working visa yourself. No need to wait and see what happens with agencies.

Haven't heard anything about criminal record checks, where did you read that?

Wether they will implement a criminal records check or not in a country is not really an issue. Rest assured that with current database technology and organsiations like Interpol a screening is just a formality in a matter of minutes. Even if you don't notice it, they do it in all countries ... for obvious reasons these days.

Also rest assured that they're not looking if you have an unpaid parking ticket nor if you have a fine for overspeed driving. No country is interested in that but your own.

I kind of get being frustrated by the trouble getting visas for China, especially tourist visas. But relative to how most people in the world experience travel across international borders, it's a breeze to get into China. Compare getting a Chinese z-visa to the experience of the average Chinese applying for a tourist visa for the U.S. or Europe.

Just do your homework and have all your papers in order.

I've heard October being thrown around as a date not only for a possible change in visa policies, but also human rights activists who were jailed, and supposed to be released before the Olympics, but were not going to be freed until October. Other activists were placed on house arrest until October, keeping them away from Beijing and the Olympics, so there seems to be something about that month that the Chinese government has in mind. Maybe there are some big crackdowns planned that they government didn't want to implement before the Olympics?

Of course, the best way to get helpful answers is a pointless title and to be rude.

The poster should be disqualified from helpful replies after his last post. Maybe he wasn't sober. Anyway, for other people who might be interested a few facts:

1. Nobody knows when, or even IF the visa situation changes, or in what way it will change, IF...

2. JTA still does only do sgl/dbl entries

3. FBT does the same (and has a magic hotel/flight booking trick)

4. Forget about the visa office in Wanchai (for L visas)

5. TBJ has a forum dedicated to china visa issues: http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

For HK Permanent residents and business people the APEC card is a very good option that will give you 3 years visa free entry to China.

But the visa squeeze has also a good side - no more waiting in line at the border! HK-SZ in below 5 Minutes!

• 1 month later...

As of this week I KNOW PERSONALLY of people who got again 6 month multi-entry visas from JTA.

No need for hotel bookings or tickets. Seems it's back to normal.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Sorry, only for HK residents! Visitors still get only single or double entry.

Edited by flameproof

• 2 weeks later...

My friend just got back today from Macau after being stuck there for a week of being denied a visa (US citizen), his initial invitation letter wasn't from a high enough $$ company, and only after contacting another of his chinese acquaintances who has a bigger company (11 mill-ish rmb) he was final granted a 2 month F visa with 30 day entries. Btw he also rents a home here in Panyu Guagdong, and already has/had temp resident permit.