Chinese-Forums

further

Scoobyqueen

Hell, I speak 4 languages fluently (I'm willing to compete with any native in these languages, lose or win they'll be more than impressed), and I'm learning Mandarin the same way I did those 4 languages.

Guess what? I had to multiply the study time by 6.

There's a reason why it's considered one of the most difficult languages in the world to study. In addition, I teach ... English. Doesn't make things easier, since everybody insists that I speak English to help "them" practice ...

Just give it time, devotion, and all the love you can give to it. It'll come. Don't force it, else you'll get discouraged.

And, don't forget, learning a language is not only about the language, but about everything: culture, demographics, history, politics, etc. I know many people who speak a foreign language, but can't get along with nor understand the people from their target language. Such a waste of time and efforts ...

That is not to say I don't make mistakes neither ... I make plenty. Else I wouldn't learn. :mrgreen:

Nah, I figure i can compete with at least a Chinese junior high student (minus a few chengyu that have slipped outta my brain perhaps)...and, well since I figure I've been been studying Chinese for nearly the same amount of time as these kids have been enrolled in school, I think I'm in good shape:mrgreen:

Well , I ve been studying for 4 years now and I assure you, after 1.5 years I wasnt even able to stammer a sentence beyond "ni hao ma" and stuff. Its not "underestimating", its just hard..and if you dont go to china, theres no hope you can learn such a language.