Chinese-Forums

Foreign Booze in Guangzhou

teaforme

Hi All,

Random question for today. Where can I find foreign beers and liquors? In particular, I'm looking for: Czech Budvar (This one, especially!!), nice tequila (no Cuervo, please), cachaca or light rum, Hendrick's gin, and other interesting mixers and liquors.

Any insight or pointers would be much appreciated. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update to my original post:

I answered my own question, though markshark's post certainly helped out. Corner's Deli (Citic Plaza flagship branch) has Czech Budvar. They're selling for 15 RMB/33 cl bottle, or approximately 11 US ounces. They just got them in stock.

I told the gals at the counter that I was REALLY happy to see it in the shop, and that I want them to keep stocking it in the future. They told me to e-mail them or call them if I have any other special requests in the future. I'll post their contact info for reference below.

Cheers,

Teaforme

www.corner-s.com

info@corner-s.com

Tel: (020) 3877 1400 (For Citic Plaza Branch)

akdn,

I've scoured Carrefour and other nearby markets. The Carrefour nearest to me in Guangzhou is at Wan Guo Guang Chang (万国广场)in Haizhu District.

They have an excellent selection of domestic and imported wines wines. They have a better than average selection of liquors -- but it's a far cry from what you'd find in America or England. I recall seeing the usual: Johnny Walker Red & Black, Absolut Vodka in various flavors, Beefeater Gin, Tanqueray, and some odd brand of tequila among other things. They don't have much by way of cocktail mixers. I think the only thing they had was dry vermouth. The beers weren't very exciting, either.

Corner's Deli has a better selection overall as it caters to expats & their boozing needs. I have yet to check out Metro.

Hmmm, Carrefour can certainly be disappointing sometimes.

I'm willing to bet Metro will have all the spirits you need. Hendricks Gin is usually there, from what I recall of other Metros I've visited, and non-Cuevo tequila, to take a couple of examples. By the way, imported beer can usually be found in the one of the food aisles, rather than the wine and spirits section.

You need a membership card to get into the store, though I can't imagine it's very difficult to arrange.